"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #11
Executive Chef

it's good quality, and enameling costs $$. there is a new lline from Innova of color cast enameld cast iron. Look for it at smartbargins, target etc. best prices around. I have only once been treated to iron stew and it's not pleasant. I would put it down to improper seasoning, but I know the pan was well seasoned; it was a tomato, wine and lemon something or other and it tasted metalic. But I've never had a problem with spaghetti sauce or chili in my dutch oven.

Old 07-16-2005, 05:10 PM   #12
Senior Cook

The Innova enamelled cast iron has very, very bad customer reviews on Amazon - apparently lots of people have had problems with the enamel bubbling up and cracking. It may be a lot cheaper than Lodge or Le Creuset...but you get what you pay for.

Paint.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #13
Executive Chef

will keep a watch on that. I liked the look of the Innova, and it doesn't have a plastic knob, but if it doesn't take the heat, who needs it!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:27 PM   #14
Master Chef

i have some lodge cast iron that i bought ages ago, probably a year ago, but haven't used it yet. it's packed away. but i can say it's lovely cookware and is nice and heavy.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
will keep a watch on that. I liked the look of the Innova, and it doesn't have a plastic knob, but if it doesn't take the heat, who needs it!
Kohl's 'own brand' of enamelled cast-iron is made by Innova too - so if you wanted to try it, I would get the Kohls version, because you would have better customer service with Kohls and be able to return it/get a refund if the enamel bubbled. Apparently Innova customer service is not very good - a customer complained about the bubbling and was told that as it didn't make any difference to the cooking ability of the pot, that it wasn't covered by the guarantee!!!

Paint.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #16
Master Chef

The thing about Le Creuset is that it is such high quality that you'll pass it on to your kids and grandkids.

My mom has a few pieces piece she bought in Europe in the 1950's and she still uses them all the time. Hopefully they'll be mine someday -- owning cookware older than you are tells you something about the workmanship.

Also LC is supposedly very good about replacing defective pieces -- as long as the cookware doesn't seem misused.

Williams Sonoma replaces LC without questions.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:36 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
We had some enameled cast iron pots and pans that where given to us as 'hand me downs'. I thought they where hard to clean and everthing stained them. Maybe they were the crappy ones. I threw them out.

I prefere to use my cast iron or stainless steel.

Bryan