"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Essential Cookware

Hey everyone,

Been reading DC for a while now so thought it was time I stepped out of the shadows and joined the community.

I have been reading up on cookware as I am looking to invest in a few pieces of good cookware for everyday cooking which will stay with me for a few years whilst I improve and learn. At the moment I am a litte confused and overwhelmed by all the information I have read so hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

The majority of people recommend Tri-ply stainless steel, is this correct or should I be considering other materials?

Should I be looking as stainless with a non-stick surface or would it be better to learn to cook using uncoated stainless and buy one/two non-stick pans for eggs etc?

In terms of frying pans it seems most people recommend purchasing a 8", 10" & 12" - Do you guys have any advice on saucepans and saute pans?

Ideally the cookware would be oven safe so I can transfer the pans etc straight from the gas hob to the oven.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of well designed, functional products so I am willing to spend a decent amount of money on these pieces if needed. That said my local restuarant supply store is Nisbets (nisbets.co.uk) and therefore any advice on the stock they carry would be ideal. I did pay them a visit last weekend to look at their Vogue range which I have seen Gorden Ramsey using but I wasn't sold on the flat handle which I felt was too long and hard to handle, and thoughts on these?

Vogue Non-Stick Aluminium Frypan (S341) - | Nisbets Next Day Catering Equipment

Thanks everyone,

Lewis.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi Lewis. Welcome to DC.

It's hard to go wrong with tri-ply stainless. It'll do just about everything very well. This is the type I use. I prefer it to anodized aluminum as that's a surface coating that can be damaged. Also, SS is DW safe if that's a consideration. It would be oven safe if you got ones with metal handles.

However, it's not the only answer.

One or two small non-stick aluminum skillets of different sizes (8" for two eggs or a small omelet, a 10" for three or more eggs). I have a couple of inexpensive non-stick skillets that are made with enameled aluminum. Enameled aluminum is DW safe as it won't discolor in the DW.

You should also consider getting a couple of pieces of the completely un-chic alternative of cast iron. A 12" CI skillet is versatile and indestructible.

For me, kitchen tools, cookware, should be completely functional. That includes durability and ease of care. This is important unless you have a host of minions lurking in the background while you cook who can wash all your tools as they are dirtied and put them away. Sadly, I do not.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Head Chef

nm <3

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC!

I agree with Andy. Love my SS pans, along with a couple of CI skillets and some cheapo nonsticks. I also have some little enamel pots for sauces. It's enough for me!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
nm <3
What does this mean?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What does this mean?
Drawing back from school days... nm is less than 3.

I was wondering the same thing
Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC
Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Stainelss steel pans and pots are very good. Also those non-stick coated. I wouldn't go for some fancy brand. I usually get mid-range stuff from restaurant supply stores. It's durable, good stuff and here in Europe is about 4-5 times cheaper than the stuff of similar quality and exctly the same usability in cookware shops. And they are for professionals that need reliable, durable stuff and demand that. Usually the handles are just metal, so they are oven safe.

I use those that are listed on this page:
Roestvrijstalen (steel)pannen Professional
other restaurant suppliers carry this model of pans under their brand - they are made in China.

In my opinion this is the best functionality+quality/price ratio available on the market. And because they are cheap, you can always buy a new one if it burns or is destroyed by kitchen experiments ;)

I'm sure if you just go with mid-range restaurant stuff you will not go wrong ;)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What does this mean?
nm = never mind (I had too many threads open and replied in the wrong one!)

But I did find what America's Test Kitchen ~ Cookware 101 had to say about which basic pots and pans one should equip their kitchen with very interesting! The ones they list are indeed the ones I use over and over.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the warm welcoming everyone, I really appreciate your time and effort.

In terms of tri-ply stainless which brands would you recommend which meet my criteria? Would you also recommend looking at stainless with a non-stick surface or is it better to regular/uncoated SS?

In terms of pots and pan what would you guys recommend, i.e what sizes / types?

Thanks all!

Tags
cookware