"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Everyday pans

Can someone explain what an everyday pan is to me? Why don't they have the typical long handle? What makes one pan an everyday pan and another not?

Here's my situation; I'm looking for a more "convenient" pan to use on the stovetop. I love my Cuisinart fry pans and saute pan, but I can't believe the difference between the 10" and 12" in size. By the time you take into account the extra long handle and the helper handle... I can't even lay the 12" pans flat in my sink. Which makes them a pan I do not want to use "everyday". They have become more specialized. Plus sometimes they just seem to big for the food I'm cooking, but the 10" seems too small. (OK fine, call me Goldilocks looking for a pan that's "just right" ) Not to mention I think I would like the pan that I use most often to have a non-stick surface. I do have a 10" fry pan that is non-stick, but it really isn't large enough to cook anything in other than a couple eggs. Certainly not anything I could cook bacon or/and ham in, slide that out of the way, then drop in a couple of eggs. Maybe I need a griddle for that, though....

I want a pan with sides higher than a fry pan, non-stick, a handle so I can shake it and lift it off the stove with one hand, a lid would be nice, oh, and yeah... I could use everyday.

Does such a pan exist?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Maybe I need a griddle for that, though.....
Hmmmm. I see nasty Mr. Rationalization at work here.

Don't know, pacanis, but I do share your dilemma about how pans fit on the stovetop or in the sink for cleaning. I just usually suck it up and muddle through.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Ackkk, when will I learn?
My response just got eaten
Old 10-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

OK...... let's try again

My perfect pan would be thick aluminum, non-stick, have a lid, flat bottom about 10-1/2 inches across, flared/curved sides (like a wok) about 3 inches high, one handle on one side (no helper handle)
Oh, and dishwasher safe
Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

There are options.

In skillets, there is usually nothing between 10" and a 12" sizes. If ones too small then the other is you best choice.

Alternatively, consider a saute or fry pan, which is a straight sided, flat bottomed alternatlive. A 10" saute pan willhold more because of the flat bottom and np sloping sides.

An everyday pan is a skillet with no long handle. Capacity issues would be the same as for the skillets.

My 12" skillet won't fit flat in my sink but I still can clean it.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
OK...... let's try again

My perfect pan would be thick aluminum, non-stick, have a lid, flat bottom about 10-1/2 inches across, flared/curved sides (like a wok) about 3 inches high, one handle on one side (no helper handle)
Oh, and dishwasher safe
Okay, now you're talkin'. Now that you've identified what you want, all you have to do is to manufacture one and market it. I'll bet there are others who share your need. See, you'd get the pan you want and make a few bucks, too. Well, maybe make some dough if there was enough demand. But, someone's always trying to build a better mousetrap.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
OK...... let's try again

Oh, and dishwasher safe

That's a tough one.

Here's one that's close but it's 12".

Amazon.com: Anolon Advanced Ultimate 12-Inch Covered Stir-Fry Pan: Kitchen & Dining

another close one but has helper handle.

Amazon.com: Calphalon One Nonstick 11-Inch Chef's Skillet with Glass Lid: Kitchen & Dining

Here is one that's dishwasher safe but is 12" and no lid but you can order a lid from potsandpans.com I really like this one.

Amazon.com: Anolon Titanium Non Stick Dishwasher Safe 12-Inch Open Stir Fry Pan with Helper Handle: Kitchen & Dining
Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the help, Ron.
I've been cruising Amazon this morning and this was the closest I could find.... in basic shape anyway Amazon.com: Joyce Chen J22-0030 Pro Chef 12 Inch Peking PanŽ with ExcaliburŽ Non-stick coating: Home & Garden
I like your first one. Do you have any experience with this brand?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
OK...... let's try again

Oh, and dishwasher safe
I have a relatively cheap (Simply Calphalon - I think it was about $30) pan that is called a "chicken fryer" which fits most of your requirements. The bottom may be slightly smaller than your spec, and it isn't really "thick" aluminum, but it has worked for me for a number of dishes that standard fry/saute pans just don't. It is about 3" deep with sloping sides and is 12" at the top, with a cover (it does have a helper handle... sorry). I haven't yet used it for frying chicken... but it makes a good substitute for a stovetop wok, it works fine on my flat top electric range, and the nonstick seems to be pretty good. It's a year old now and still looks like new. I don't put it in the dishwasher, however. I just don t do that with ANY of my nonstick cookware.

BTW, I don't think I own a frying pan of any type that will sit flat in my sink. Just out of curiosity, why would that be necessary?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
HERE YA GO!

Die-cast aluminium, 11 inches in diameter, non-stick coated interior, and the wooden handle, I believe, can be removed.