Falk Copper Cookware -- Opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

web-collage

Senior Cook
Does anyone have Falk copper pans? How do you like them?

While looking around at copper cookware, I found mention (on another cooking site) of Falk made in Belgium. It's 2.5 mm with thin stainless lining, cast iron handles. They have some rounded shapes that I like, similar to the Demeyere conical pot and my All Clad cassoulette that is so useful. Price is similar to Mauviel. The finish does not looks as smooth but is not hammered.

The site offers a "try out" piece, a 1.5 qt Falk Copper Sauciére at a reduced price, so I ordered it. It's a nice size and the stainless interior means I can use a wire wisk.

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• falk tryme piece.jpg
    falk tryme piece.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 685
The "try me" Falk saucier arrived and I have indeed been trying it. Built like a little tank, very heavy, not as pretty as Mauviel. The interior stainless is grey, rather than silvery like most US stainless cookware. It discolors where there has been food contact, but cleans easily. The brushed copper finish on the Falk is also easy to clean; because it's not a mirror polish, it will take a good scrub without scratching.

Cooking: Really VERY nice. Nice easy saute at medium heat, lots of fond, easy simmer when liquid is added. Very easy to reduce down a liquid to concentrate flavor. I'm keeping it on the stove to avoid lifting the heavy little beast in and out of the pot cupboard and because it's in frequent use.

I have a lot of Falk cookware (20 some pieces). Use it daily. Cleans easily with barkeepers friend.

It is not polished but brushed copper..."industrial or commercial" in styling . Makes it easier to keep clean.

You will find you can really turn the temp down on the burner as the pan moves the heat so well. You can also achieve a slow simmer and a slow rolling boil. It is awesome stuff!

20 pieces! You must have everything they make! What do you think of the quality of the stainless lining? Is it just different than US stainless or does the bonding with copper make it react differently? I would like to cook in a heavy copper tin-lined just to compare. But I can see the Falk is definitely meant for heavy use.

I started collecting their cookware many years ago and it has been a great investment. The pans hold up very well. The brushed exterior and the matte stainless interior do not show scratches as readily as highly polished counterparts do. The quality is the same. (Falk makes the bimetal for most of the French copper cookware companies-Mauviel, Boutgeat, Dehilerin, included.)

Heavy copper tin lined is a joy to use, but does require a different approach. I tend to use it for dishes that I will deglaze and make a sauce, not high heat sauteing.

You mention Rocky Mountain re-tinning.. They sell some hand made copper pots (tin lined) that are very fine.

I put a nail in the wall to hang the little beast but 20 minutes later had it down to saute some mushrooms. Anything I cook in it will "sauce up" and thicken just enough.

Were your early Falk pots lined with tin or SS?

no; Falk pioneered the copper-stainless bimetal process. I don't think they made cookware before that, or at least not under their name.

I like my Falk pan A LOT but have recently been looking for an omelette pan and Falk doesn't make anything quite right. However, I did sort of accidentally purchase a used copper pan that is the right shape, so I'll compare that to the Falk. Pretty hard to beat the ease of cleaning Falk.

every pro chef I know makes omelets in a restaurant stick free pan, about $30 at a restaurant supply store or places like Reading China and Glass, Kitchen and Company, etc.

I can't afford $30-40 every year per non stick pan..been there done that, i eat eggs and don't sell them.went an payed plenty for a couple of Demeyere frypans..one frypan is $200 but should last a thousand years..pretty cheap if you think about it.:LOL:
For the past years i cook my omeletes in an 11" SS Demeyere and so early in the morning it's too much of a workout.. i never have had any eggs stick in my SS,hot pan cold lubricant=non stick.A non stick works for 6-8 months and then sticks,warps and gets tossed.

Back
Top Bottom