"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Fondue Double boilers.

Looking for a good/decent Double boiler for Fondue use. Melting Pot resturants have some nice lookin ones, any like that? Looks like a single fondue pot + a metal insertable bowl. Pot narrows as it rises ti about... 8" i would guess from around 10".

Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
oddly enough, since the resurgance in popularity of fondu, common places like Target(Tar-gjay:-) havve decent, ceramic coated, fondu vessels, with quite a variety of styles and colors to choose from.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Unfortunatly from what i saw when i look earlier and now on their site, none are double boiler type. Nice thought thou. looking for a Oil/Broth/Cheese/Chocolate one. basilcy a boiler pot with various inserts or just multipule metal inserts one can swap as needed.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I can check with a buddy I know, he owns The Melting Pot, here in Virginia Beach. Andy will tell me where he gets his. I think they are what you are looking for, I'll pm you the details. Feel free to google his restaurant, he has done really well for himself with a fine dining fondu place.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

That would be the style i am looking for. I saw them sunday when i was at the one in SC. looked like some good stuff. Would have to get a heating rig but that is easy just but a target version and stuff the pan away. I would defiantly appriciate it. my brother would like one two, so i'd probably get a set of pots for his B-day. Melting pot is a chain store.. is the the actual owner of the chain? Defiantly a good place to eat.. EXPENSIVE thou. lets just say the last outing there was $300... 6 people. came home stuffed.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Andy, he owns the local store

http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=4927

I just put in an e-mail, he'll lemme know. The pots could be easy to find, just the cost might be exorbinate. The burners on the otherr hand, are cheap and inexpensive. You could use anything from a single butane burner, to a plug in wall unnit electric.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Great, hope to get a response from him/you.

Small world.. looking for a certian item that was seen at a resurant and run into someone whos friend owns one.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Guess he didn't/couldn't tell ya?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
Head Chef

Nova5,
I'm not sure if this is what your looking for, but I have a great fondue pot that works great both for a double boiler (cheese, chocolate) plus for meat. My bf got if for me from crate and barrel.
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/search.aspx?query=fondue

It's the 5th one. There is a glass insert that works for the double boiler
Old 06-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I'm lookin at an ArcoSteel unit. Hopefully i can find it at the local Bed&Bath'n'Beyond, so i can get a measurement of the opening to get extra inserts for it.