For artisan bread - braising pan vs dutch oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I have a braising pan, stainless steel with glass lid. I was wondering if I could bake artisan bread in that. It is only a 5 qt pan. I would like to get a dutch oven , mainly for bread, just waiting for $$ :chef:

I have a braising pan, stainless steel with glass lid. I was wondering if I could bake artisan bread in that. It is only a 5 qt pan. I would like to get a dutch oven , mainly for bread, just waiting for $$ :chef:

That's what I use. The only alteration I had to make was to remove the plastic (?) knob from the lid and replace it with a metal one. My pan is Magnalite with a glass lid. Makes N.Y. Times bread perfectly.

That's what I use. The only alteration I had to make was to remove the plastic (?) knob from the lid and replace it with a metal one. My pan is Magnalite with a glass lid. Makes N.Y. Times bread perfectly.
I don't know what mine is, I bought at Wegmans long time ago. It has no marking or labels on it. :ermm:

Magnalite is aluminum and transmits heat very well. Stainless steel does not and the results could be uneven. Worth a try.

Magnalite is aluminum and transmits heat very well. Stainless steel does not and the results could be uneven. Worth a try.

thanks for the info. Perhaps I will wait til I get dutch oven instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you have a crock pot with a removable insert? I use the ceramic insert from my 6 quart crock pot that has a glass lid with a metal knob. This set up works great.

do you have a crock pot with a removable insert? I use the ceramic insert from my 6 quart crock pot that has a glass lid with a metal knob. This set up works great.

yes 3 crockpots with removable inserts, all have plastic knobs on the lids.

Dough

Can you give me the recipe for the dough? We have the little le creuset dutch oven, I believe it's a 3-1/2 qt. Is this the size you'd be looking at?

Pick Another Pan

Thanks, I think I have a pan closer to what is shown in the pictures. I really love artisan breads. :)

Right now I am testing my crockpot insert in the oven without the bread dough, so if it cracks or breaks, I won't lose the dough, but if the insert breaks, then I will have to spend dough ;) get it ? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom