French Baumalu copper cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
copper pots

Does anyone know if JC Penney brand of copper pots are of a good quality? It is the Cooks brand and is suppossed to have a lifetime warranty.

Hi All :)

Please bear with me on this this is my first post to any kind of forum, I am looking to buy some copper pans and have come across 2 sets with in my price range which are the Baumalu (2 mm wall thickness) set and Ethos 5 piece copper pan set with mirror steel lids (Tri ply pan set).
Can any one say which is the best ?
Also are the Tri ply pans as good as the straight copper one?
Or can you recommend any other makes?

Thank you
Mykool

I'm a pan junkie. Copper has great cooking qualities...quick to heat quick to cool great control etc. That said, it is heavy, requires polishing and if tin lined it takes a bit more care than most people care to give it. Tri ply means 3 layers sandwiched together, the middle layer being copper or aluminum for heat conduction, the outer layers being SS for easy care and non reactive cooking. THey have proven themselves to be decent and long lasting. What do want? The look and work of copper or the easy of care for the triply?

I purchased 5 pots on Saturday. A frying pan with lid, sauté pan, and 3 various sizes of sauce pans. Total came to $227.00. I was ecstatic with my purchase. It appears that 2 of the sauce pans do not have lips, and therefore I do believe that I could get lids for them. I (along with the sales reps at William-Sonoma) got tire of my nose pressed up against the glass looking at the $1800.00 sets. I had check several Marshall’s at various times, and stumbled into one in a town that I visit very rarely. My son was the one that pointed them out and said get them now. Does anyone know if it is difficult to get the lids for these pots? I have one copper pot that I bought myself, and wrapped it from my boys last Christmas. I like it very much, but it is a 3qt pan. I am not concerned with the removing the lacquer. I can do that easily. I have been using Magnetite Professionals. They were a wedding gift from some friends. My wife does not cook. I have several Cast Iron Pots, one Cast Iron in Enamel, and a couple of woks. I took my time going to college, and worked in an excellent Chinese restaurant for a couple of years, and also a Mexican Restaurant for a couple of years. Any info on getting the lids would be appreciated. In pot is 6 3/8th inches across, one is 7 1/8th, and the pot with the lip is 8 ½ inches across.

Hi Copper Pan fans;

'first post here - thanks to everyone for all the incredible detail - which I read AFTER making an impulsive buy of two, 2mm thick, saucepans/pots from TJMaxx at the w/end. something told me I got them for a 'steal' at $34 and $39 respectively (though neither had lids!). 'Thought I'd do a quick Google check on pan 'preparation' and this forum popped up with WAY more anecdotal info than anywhere else!

'Had another quick look around Marshalls, Home Goods and Tuesday Morning with mixed results (TM had 1mm thick pans, FOUR times the price of elsewhere!) but lucked out with a nice sautee pan for $60, with a lid.

None of them appeared to have had laquer on the outside ('didn't fancy the 'chemical' approach so boiled water gently for 20 mins in each, with NO laquer-drip/peel). 'Spent Sunday luxuriating in fine sauce, gravy and sautee-ing activities ... a definite improvement in flavor retention - possibly because of the VERY considerably lower flames (gas) at which the pans very evenly cooked the food.

ONE of the pans has a 'hammered' finish (echoed by the tinning on the inside), the other two are smooth - all have the 'made in France' logo stamped. 'Was a bit wary of anything marked "Made In China" - also ANYthing with a celebrity chef's name on it - pure marketing ... as several of that variety were (aside from being at least twice or thrice the price - that's THREE 'ices'!) only 1 mm thick and had 'plastic' handles instead of the super strong/heavy/long cast iron ones which allow two hands for lifting if needed - a great idea.

Does anyone know where appropriate copper pan lids can be bought (on their own) so I can cover my 'lid-less' two?

Thanks again to all for the invaluable 'copper' wisdom.

Jon

Depending on whether you want the lids that would have come on the pans, or just workable lids, there are any number of options. Assuming Balmalu, the lids are available, and will probably cost as much as you paid for the pans. Mauvil lids should also fit at a higher price. Alternatives include Pyrex and the universal style lids that will fit different sizes of pans. It is not unsual for saucepans to come without lids. At $35/pot for 2mm copper w/cast iron handles, I would think that you got a good deal. Ebay also has lids occassionally available. A Google or ebay search should turn up what you want.

Acetone/Nail Polish Remover is ok?

Wow.. this has been a most informative thread!
Like a couple others.. I had been debating on trying a copper pot/pan and came across the baumalu line a few times at the local TJ Maxx stores.
Today I broke down and picked up the small sauce pot with lid for $13.. thought this would be a good simple way to try copper with sauces.

My question is this.. removing the lacquer.. someone mentioned acetone and using fingernail polish remover.. it is acetone.. could I use this to remove the lacquer coating or are there other compounds in the acetone that would be detrimental to the copper?

Thanks so much!

Baumalu copper cookware

Baumalu produces excellent-quality tin-lined copper pans in the traditional fashion with hand-hammered exteriors, hand-riveted cast-iron handles and a wide selection of cookware for every purpose. Given the huge rises in the price of copper over the last two years, Baumalu remains one of the most cost-effective sources of traditional cookware. You can buy from eBay direct from France. The company is based in Alsace in north-eastern France and was founded in 1971.

I know of people who still cook in copper pans made over 100 years ago (OK - with some retinning) and they really do last a lifetime. The tin linings are important because the tin conducts heat some seven times more efficiently than steel, allowing fantastic temperature control, and of course energy efficiency.

Hope this helps!

Removing lacquer from new copper pans

New copper cookware is always coated in a lacquer film that you need to remove before use. Acetone is perfect for this - just rub a little using a soft cloth into the surface and it will come off very easily. Never use anything abrasive because copper is a soft metal and scratches easily.

Once you start using the pans, you'll find a little lemon juice with some coarse salt rubbed in keeps the pans in shiny condition.

Good luck - hopet his helps.

New copper cookware is always coated in a lacquer film that you need to remove before use. Acetone is perfect for this - just rub a little using a soft cloth into the surface and it will come off very easily. Never use anything abrasive because copper is a soft metal and scratches easily.

Once you start using the pans, you'll find a little lemon juice with some coarse salt rubbed in keeps the pans in shiny condition.

Good luck - hopet his helps.

Thanks a lot. Your explanation & tips certainly did help.

I have a number of Baumalu pots - 2mm variety. I am very happy with them. Just a couple of points. Some have advised cleaning with lemon juice and baking soda. This seems rather odd as the two react together to produce carbon dioxide and a salt. (Salt in the chemical meaning as when an acid and base are mixed). Maybe it works, but I fail to see why.

Lemon juice and table salt or vinegar and table salt do work. The salt acts as a catalyst (not exactly, but it will do as an explanation - it alters the ionic strength of the vinegar) that allows the vinegar to remove the surface oxidation more quickly. In the process an extremely thin layer of copper (oxide) is removed. Don't worry about the amount of copper you lose.

Copper is an extremely reactive element. It 'rusts' very quickly. However the copper rust - ie copper oxide(s) - is highly unreactive and generally impervious to water and air. So the dull surface acts as a barrier and prevents further rusting.

The Baumalu handles are iron and hold a lot of heat. Take care if you use them in the oven. You can give yourself a really bad burn if you grab hold of the handle even 10 minutes after taking it out of the oven. Iron is a relatively poor conductor of heat and it takes some time to dissipate it. Be particularly careful if someone else may enter the kitchen and pick up the pan. It's exactly the same danger as for cast iron pots. The same problem can happen on a gas burner where heat rises round the side of the pan and heats the handle. Try to ensure the pan covers the complete 'circle of flame'. A silicon pot handle is a good idea and you can use it for your cast iron frying pan.

My preference is not to clean the copper but let the pans generate a patina. It's your choice of form v. function. It does not affect performance. (at least not significantly in terms of cooking).

In my experience I find the copper lids are a pain. The copper lid conducts heat to the lid handle which can get very hot. It is a minor burn hazard. My preference is to use glass lids with insulated handles. I certainly would not buy copper lids for any future lid-less pans. I do not see what copper lids bring to the equation except in terms of looks. Additionally the copper bends easily, and copper lids suffer accordingly. And once the edges have been dinged it is not easy straightening them. This dinging happens when you pick up a hot lid - temporarily. The lid handles (and pot handles) rust so you need to dry them by hand. Alternatively, live with a bit of rust. It is part of the character. IMHO shiny copper pots are a sign of a person who has wasted some valuable cooking time.

As someone else said. the lids slip over the handles which makes for easy hanging from a ceiling pot rack. A couple of butcher's hooks from Ikea and away you go.

The tinning on the inside may display 'water-marks' which are very difficult to remove. Ignore them.

The external surface of the pot is easily stained (in reality cleaned) by acids so take car not to splash vinegar etc on the outside. There are other oxidising cleaners (I suppose oxy-clean is one) that can cause marks on the outside. But fear not, using your trusty vinegar and salt will bring back the shine.

Sorry for stating the obvious - don't stick 'em in a dishwasher.

Someone stated that you need re-tinning every 3 to 5 years. In my experience it is a lot longer than this for the average non-professional foody cook. Accidental scratches in the the tin that expose small amounts of copper is not a reason to get them re-tinned. In this case, ignore the copper poisoning worry. Your will get far more copper in your system from the effects of acid rain on your copper pipes.

If you want to preheat a pan to 212 then just a tiny bit of water will do the trick. Copper conducts heat so well that it does not get significant hot spots. Don't stick it on a burner empty - it's just not worth making a mistake and forgetting about it. In general, unless you are bringing something to a boil then medium heat will do. This also has the advantage that if the pan boils dry it will probably not melt the tin. (although it will get discoloured)

Also remember that the sides of a copper pan heat up more than an ordinary pan and transfer heat to the food.

My first post on this site. Sorry, I do have a tendency to ramble.

Thanks Paul! I've seen your user name on another site or two.
Always full of good info!

This particular post is what led me to this board.. it's a bit difficult to find info on Baumalu cookware.

My local cooking store had to do some looking up as they were unfamiliar with this line as well when I asked about removing the lacquer.

Baumalu is new (a few years) on the American Market, but has a long history in France. Much is sold online or in stores like Marshalls TJMax and Tuesday Morning. Baumalu comes in many grades (as do all potmakers btw) so do some measuring. 2 to 2.5 mm thickness is ideal for most cooking. But they do make thinner pans. Why they lacquer their pots is for the person who want's to hang them on the wall rather than use them. No other French copper company does this to my knowledge (Mauviel, Dehillerin, Bourgeat, etc.)

How long will the tin last? the accepted wisdom is 3-5 years. Mine has lasted a lot longer. I use wooden spoons etc, no metal. I keep the heat reasonable. I don't scour the pans. TIn will darken naturally with use. Let it do its thing! Soak the pans and they come clean with a sponge.

to polish or not? your choice. But real copper as these are polish easily compared to the copper wash or old revereware. Do I use lemmon and salt? If I have cooked with lemmon I keep the used ends around till cleanup. If not I use barkeepers friend. I have let some age and darken but they cook the same. I prefer them shiny.

Lids are very useful tools. Do they need to match? no. But if you want them to, Baumalu, Mauviel, Bourgeat etc sell lids by diameter. French copper studio, Metro Kitchen, Fantes etc can help.

You can cook a fine meal in much less expensive pans. Most restaurants do! But with good copper or enameled cast iron you can turn the heat down low and trust that your soup or stew will keep simmering without burning.

Do you want to sear food over high heat...get cast iron or carbon steel for that job...

different pans for different jobs.

I don't think any of us who have written on cooking and caring for copper have contradicted one another. We may have slightly different approaches but we are saying pretty much the same thing.

Last edited:
Feedback copper cookware

The Alsatian Cookware is great, I bought quite a few pieces at Marshalls, and Tuesday morning. Having bought a lot of higher priced Mauviel and the Italian hammered pots at Williams Sonoma, it appears there is NO difference in the way that they cook other than you cannot use extremely high heat.

Being French myself, I do not think any of my french relatives would esteem one brand of pot over the other, rather the results of the cooking would be discussed more than the cost of the pot.

I have received gifts of lacquered pots that required boiling and they lasted a long time. I always use a lemon or lime with salt on top to clean the pots every night after use....if I have no lemon a tablespoon or two of catsup works just as well.:chef:

Enjoy!

Baumalu Cast Iron Handles

Hi y'all,

This is my first post here. I discovered this site while Googling Baumalu cookware, which I am considering for purchase.

Thank God for this thread! It answers many of the questions that I had.
Someone above mentioned that the cast iron handles will rust. But I would assume that they could be seasoned to prevent rusting just like a cast-iron skillet.... Right?!

I've several Bourgeat copper pans with cast iron handles.

no rust around here..... the handles 'darken' and that seems to be their long term stable condition.

<< Thank God for this thread! It answers many of the questions that I had.
Someone above mentioned that the cast iron handles will rust. But I would assume that they could be seasoned to prevent rusting just like a cast-iron skillet.... Right?! >>

No. You may well melt the tin lining in a hot oven.

Don't worry about the rust. It is a superficial coat - more of a browning. You could always varnish the handle. But it is not particularly ugly.

just wipe the handles with a little cooking oil after cleaning and before putting away the first few times. I've had no problem with rusting handles. (I agree, do not place in the oven without food or liquid.) Tin melts at 460*F

When I buy copper cookware, unless I know otherwise, I assume that it has a laquer coating. This is generally put on at the factory to increase shelf life. The simplest way to remove it is with laquer thinner or acetone. Mineral spirits is paint thinner, and will not remove laquer. Thinners are very flammeable and toxic, and should be used outdoors.

I have only had a couple of cast iron handles show signs of rust. In both cases, I used a very small amount of hi temp clear engine enamel to coat the offending spot

I clean my copper. I use Wrights cleaner as it is cheap and readily available and does the job.

2mm + copper works best for me. I stay away from any with a rolled upper edge. The roll is there to strengthen the rim. Not necessary on thick pots. I have seen both Baumalu qualities sitting side by side at Tuesday Morning, and at roughly the same price.

I seldom buy a pot without a lid. While you do not always need a lid, when you need it, you need it. A year or so ago Rocky Mountain Retinning had acquired a bunch of old lids, and was able to fix me up with one I could not find. I also use Pyrex lids on pots used for simmering.

Copper cookware requires more care than SS. Only wooden or plastic utensils. As stated, small scratches do not deter from the cooking. IMO copper requires about the same care as non stick.

Great info -- Thanks!

Thanks to all for your input!

I was wondering about the hammered finish -- it is more difficult to polish/clean than a smooth finish? I.e. removing the tarnish from the little indentations, is that difficult?

Also, somewhere I read about handle placement; someone posted on a forum that they preferred that the handles be closer to the top (rim) of the pot as opposed to nearer the heat source. Looking at the more expensive lines (Mauviel, etc.) I noticed that the handles were typically riveted toward the top of the pot (looking from the lateral, or side view). But on the Baumalus the handle placement seemed to vary with the piece.
Any comments on that?

Back
Top Bottom