"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question French Baumalu copper cookware

I see a thread about this line of cookware from last Spring but never saw that the person actually bought it and what they thought of it. I just bought 10 pieces ( 3 frypans, 3 sauciers, 4 saucepans, all varying sizes, no lids but I see that they can be ordered online) of this cookware at a Marshalls Mega Store for about 300.00. It is 2 mm thick (I measured) and tin lined with cast iron handles. It is all hammered. The prices were so unbelievable I bought it all with the intent to get it before someone else did and find out about it later.

I love to cook and have been using the same Cuisinart tri-ply cookware for 25 years. I have always wanted copper but couldn't justify the cost, particularly as the pans I own are high quality.

Anyone know anything? It is stamped made in France (in French) and has tags that show manufacture in Alsace. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I have quite a lot of Mauviel, Faulk, Lara, and Hammersmith...all restaurant quality, none of it ever lacquered, some tin lined some stainless lined. The Baumalu seemed too light weight (although it looked thick) and was lacquered. If a pot is lacquered, its main purpose is for show not use. So I'm not sure what you have got for your money. Real cooking quality copper is costly even at 50% off.
Yes, Baumalu comes from Alsace, but so do lots of things. You will know if it is any good for cooking by using it several times. If it isn't lacquered and if the tin lining is thick enough, you have got a good usable product. At worst, you have some beautiful decor that was not too pricey. So either way not a bad deal.

Once you've used it, let us know how good it seems to be. I find little on the web about that company or it's product.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:27 AM   #3
Master Chef

The first thing you should do is read the instructions that came with the set - and pay attention to them. Because of it's great heat conductivity ... it doesn't need a lot of heat for cooking, doesn't take long to heat up, etc. and cooks nothing like your Cuisinart tri-ply.

Tin melts at just under 450-F ... and begins to soften somewhere between about 350-400F. You'll need to pay a little more attention to this cookware if you want it last.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:00 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

And if it is lacquered, remove the lacquer before firing it up!! The tin lining will need to be 'cared for"--no scraping, etc.
I would be pretty sure that French cooks probably actually cook with it--not everyone would use the high end Mauviel, etc. Enjoy.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
Head Chef

Hello Lynnie, Michael is absolutely right about reading the instructions. As far as I can see on the Web, the company doesn't have its own site but you can contact them. See below:

Contact Information
Bruno MARTIN
20, route de Schwobsheim Baldenheim
Selestat, Cedex 67606
France

Phone: +33 (0)3 88 85 31 35
Fax: +33 (0)3 88 85 38 07
Email: baumalu@dial.oleane.com

There's very little info about their copper ranges in English on the Web, but if you look up Baumalu and cuivre (copper in French) in Google, you come across a fair number of places selling their copper pans. They do two ranges, one that is only 1 mm thick and your set, which is 2 mm thick. Have a look at this site:

http://www.webmarchand.com/a/liste_p...te_produit.htm

The site says that is of "culinary quality", so it is obviously meant for cooking with rather than just for show. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for your input. As far as the lacquer issue, I went to Sur la Table to look at the Mauviel, Bourgeat, and house brand line of copper cookware for comparison. One of the lines, don't recall which one (think it may have been the tin lined mauviel?), was lacquered and had explicit instructions on the tag on how to remove it before cooking. Boil in water with baking soda (don't recall proportions) for 15 minutes and lacquer will peel off. I figured if one of these lines was lacquered, it was okay. Still haven't used it. I'll let you know what else I may find out!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
Head Chef

Lynnie, did the set come with any instructions? If not, try contacting Baumalu at the e-mail address given above or try the place where you bought it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Michael, Lynnie's tri-ply Cuisinart cookware was made in France, not SriLanka (if she's been cooking with it for 25 years!) That cookware cooks very much like copper, and in fact, has a copper sandwich on the bottom. The temps they both require are just about equal.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheila P
Unhappy Baumalu Copper Cookware

Arrrgggg I wish I had stumbled upon this site BEFORE I went shopping!!
Oh I apologize my name is Sheila Im new to this site. I just purchased aproxx. $600.plus worth of copper pots (Baumalu from Alsace France) six of them ranging in sizes they were all sold seperatly, from Tuesday Morning Stores. After reading some of your replys Im beginning to think my dream of owning copper cookware is till far off!! Should I take all this back??? On the inside little piece of paper it says it has been tin plated by hand and there will be irregularties. It seams like good stuff ? The 26"Saute with lid was originaly 300.00 they sold it for 150.00. So after all this did I get some good pieces or should I take it all back and keep saving my pennies for that ONE special copper pot??
Thanks for listening!
Sheila....I will formaly introduce myself later
Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Welcome Sheila! Why would you think those copper pans wouldn't be just fine based on what you read above? Is yours 1mm or 2?

Lynnie never came back to tell us how she likes her Baumalu cookware, so I'm not sure you'll get too many details here. However, I'd say the odds are in your favor that you have some really nice stuff.