French Carbon Steel Skillet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I'm contemplating the purchase of a carbon steel skillet. Do you know the pros and cons of cooking with carbon steel. How to care for it?

You would care for it just like the most popular carbon steel cooking vessel,
the WOK. <--- click for instructions

I have two and they are my favorite pans to cook in! Season it well, and never wash it again. I clean mine with Kosher salt while they are still warm, and keep them bagged against dust collecting on the oily surface.

Although I do not use carbon steel, from the research I've done, it appears that carbon steel does have a tendancy to provide more even heat distribution than stainless steel but is still not as good as aluminum. Food does have a tendancy to stick if not oiled properly and you really have to be careful it doesn't rust.

I suppose the only real advantage it has is durability.

i sear-roasted a HUUUUUUGE ribeye in my debuyer pan last night.

they are GREAT for this cooking technique because they can go from the stovetop directly to the oven.

they are inexpensive, deliver the heat, etc., and as they get blacker over time, they cook better.

but make sure they are seasoned well.

Treat carbon steel pans the exact same way you would treat cast iron...wash/dry/season/cook/coo/cook/and never (ever) wash with soap.

It has very similar cooking charateristics to cast iron. Slightly less weight.
Handles tend to be very (!) long compared to the same size cast iron pan.
I have four debuyer steel pans, from 8" to 14" (which just barely fits inside my oven, again the extra long handles). Best place to buy is jbprince.com
JB Prince - The World's Finest Chefs' Tools & Equipment

Best brand is debuyer. They make 3 grades of steel pans. The link above takes you to the thickest grade available. I feel these are the best money can buy. On the jbprince website any of the pans with item numbers 320 xx are debuyer pans even though they dont state that. Dont get cheap, thin, pans, they are no good. I have them, use them, and will never ever part with them. Best of luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom