Frequent Flyer Cookware Sets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mllesmw

Assistant Cook
Hi -- I'm new here and would appreciate your advice: United is offering merchandise for frequent flyer points and that seems better than the frustrations of always encountering blackout dates. They have two cookware set options that I could get with my points:
Analon's 12-piece Titanium Cookware set and KitchenAid Gourmet Distinctions 12-piece Cookware set.
I've always been wary of cookware sets -- you get things you don't need and have to store -- but I'm also trying to move away from nonstick and its teflon chemical problems...is one of these better than the other? are either of them worth 40,000 air miles?? Please advise... thank you!

Not a chance. That is two tickets--or at least almost. That could be worth up to $1000 in some time periods.

that's true in an ideal world, but sadly, if you ever try to use ff points, you'll find that getting at flight at the 25,000 level is frankly impossible and so 40,000 is more like one flight and even then it's hard to get seats w/ the points.

in any case, putting aside the points -- are either of these sets at all interesting?

I use USAirways/United ALL the time and have little trouble getting seats by planning ahead.
Look for these sets on Amazon and look at their comments. You can buy great "knockoffs" of Calphalon or All Clad at Costco or Sam's for $150 that are probably better than either of these.

From what I can tell, the KitchenAid Gourmet Distinctions is tri-ply construction which is what you would want to see in quality cookware.

It looks like the Anolon set might be a non-stick set.

I am a bit hung over this morning so do not trust my research completely, but based on what I have seen I would go with the KitchenAid Gourmet Distinctions. It looks like it could be a very nice set of cookware.

Actually, it's a disk bottom SS cookware. (GB: Drink some OJ and take two aspirin).

The body of the pan is a single layer of SS. On the bottom there is a disk of aluminum and copper encapsulated in SS. If you have an electric stove, this set could do a fine job for you. If yo have a gas stove, the flames can sometimes reach beyond the edges of the disk, heating the single ply SS directly. This can cause burned food.

Ahhhhhh thank you Andy for the correction. I missed one word (an important one) in the description.

What I was reading said "he cookware base is made up of a layer of aluminum, then copper, followed by more aluminum and finally a layer of 18/10 stainless steel to deliver exceptional cooking performance with reduced hot sopts."

The word I missed was "base" and that makes all the difference.

OK I am off in search of that OJ now!

Yes, several.

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor

I don't have a drinking problem. I drink, I fall down - No Problem.

Just to name a few.

thanks, all, for your helpful (and entertaining) replies -- I think I'm going to hold onto the miles and buy cookware separates over time...

Back
Top Bottom