"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #11
Sous Chef

The best pans and oven ware that I have are cast iron and seasoned, my Le Creuset for oven use and I also have a very good set of stainless for boiling, and that. Had them for years, and they're doing fine. My stainless steel pans are Prestige pans, and I didn't think they'd stay the course, but here we are still,with them giving sterling service.

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 AM   #12
Executive Chef

My take. Non-stick skillet/pan makers have yet to solve the issue of their pans warping over time as compared to cast iron or quality stainless steel skillet/pans.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
My take. Non-stick skillet/pan makers have yet to solve the issue of their pans warping over time as compared to cast iron or quality stainless steel skillet/pans.
I'll never buy expensive ones because from my experience, they all wear eventually, so what's the point? Although, I can be pretty rough on cook wear...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I also buy inexpensive non-stick skillets. The trick is to find ones made with a fairly thick aluminum pan and a coating (paint) on the aluminum. The thicker body promotes even heat distribution and resists warping (never been a problem) while the coated bottom allows you to toss it int the DW without having to deal with discolored raw aluminum.

Our GD is moving to NYC and is setting up in an apartment. Yesterday I bought her a set of three pans at Costco for $27.99. The price has gone up since I started doing this 20 years ago.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Still using my cheapie World Cuisine black steel fryer. 11" and I found a lid that fits for a buck. I'm trying to wear it out, but I think it'll outlast me...especially if I keep on eating fried food.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Oop...found this at the Boys & Girls Club thrift, a totally abused De Buyer 1830 mineral steel 12.5" pan. Cleaned up nice, made a non-stick omelet after seasoning with coconut oil. $12.95 + tax, half price day, $7 out the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_111034[1].jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	31382   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_115348[1].jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	31383  

gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

This is what I buy at Target, $16.19 for the set of 3; 8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch.

If you don't like red, you can get the same set in aqua or black for $19.79. If they get scratcched or lose their non-stickiness, I toss them into the recycle bin and buy another set.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Oop...found this at the Boys & Girls Club thrift, a totally abused De Buyer 1830 mineral steel 12.5" pan. Cleaned up nice, made a non-stick omelet after seasoning with coconut oil. $12.95 + tax, half price day, $7 out the door.

Great buy and fantastic save!
Old 09-08-2018, 02:43 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
This is what I buy at Target, $16.19 for the set of 3; 8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch.

If you don't like red, you can get the same set in aqua or black for $19.79. If they get scratcched or lose their non-stickiness, I toss them into the recycle bin and buy another set.
Not a bad price. However, I got tired of treating the cheaper ones with care and still seeing scratch marks show up, then, peeling up of the coating. Granted, my two Calphalon 12" and 8" pans really are a bit more expensive than the throw aways. 5 years later and they still aren't showing scratches or peeling. I no longer need to toss away non-stick pans 2 years later, like my previous inexpensive Walmart non-stick pans. I think I'm saving money over the long run.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...%26%20Skillets

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote