"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Nobody has given any bad advice on this thread!! LOL
I guess I need to stop now, while I'm ahead.

CD

Old 02-10-2017, 04:38 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I guess I need to stop now, while I'm ahead.

CD
You're right, this is way more information that I anticipated, thank you all! I'm going to have a look at some of those dutch ovens and see what they are all about, they sound amazing and the thought of braising my meat and then leaving it to stew for hours makes me salivate.

I think I am still going to go for the saucepan set with a small non-stick frying pan (24cm) to do my eggs and pancakes in. Then I will have to keep an eye out for a larger stainless steel frying pan, brasier or saute pan to cook the majority of my quick (under an hour) meals in. I tend to cook these meals in bulk so I have left overs for work for the next few days so I'd ideally get a 30cm pan.

Other than that, I think I will be set for the time being, maybe a small 24cm saute pan to caramalize and get my fonds for when I'm cooking a smaller meal.

How does that sound?

Old 02-10-2017, 05:56 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam90 View Post
You're right, this is way more information that I anticipated, thank you all! I'm going to have a look at some of those dutch ovens and see what they are all about, they sound amazing and the thought of braising my meat and then leaving it to stew for hours makes me salivate.

I think I am still going to go for the saucepan set with a small non-stick frying pan (24cm) to do my eggs and pancakes in. Then I will have to keep an eye out for a larger stainless steel frying pan, brasier or saute pan to cook the majority of my quick (under an hour) meals in. I tend to cook these meals in bulk so I have left overs for work for the next few days so I'd ideally get a 30cm pan.

Other than that, I think I will be set for the time being, maybe a small 24cm saute pan to caramalize and get my fonds for when I'm cooking a smaller meal.

How does that sound?
I think the saucepan set sounds like a very good choice, and the non-stick frying pan is a good utility pan for those quick meals we all make to fit our schedules.

I also think you are wise to buy a few things at a time, and incorporate them into your cooking one step at a time. Then you can ask yourself, "What do I want to do, that I am not able to do with what I have?" Hopefully you won't have to give away as much kitchen $tuff as I did in assembling what I have now.

Do some YouTube searches on dutch oven cooking. It will give you an idea what you can do with them. I mentioned starting on the stove-top, and moving to the oven to slow cook. Here is a video -- part of a series that Michael Ruhlmann did for Le Creuset -- where he uses a dutch oven to do a slow cook starting on the stove-top, and finishing in the oven.

CD
Old 02-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

That video was great, I've watched a few of them now, including one where he sautes some medallions in a pan with red wine. That looked yummy!
Old 02-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam90 View Post
You're right, this is way more information that I anticipated, thank you all! I'm going to have a look at some of those dutch ovens and see what they are all about, they sound amazing and the thought of braising my meat and then leaving it to stew for hours makes me salivate........

.....Then I will have to keep an eye out for a larger stainless steel frying pan, brasier or saute pan to cook the majority of my quick (under an hour) meals in.
For a working person who wants to cook a meal in under an hour, you might want to consider a pressure cooker. Modern electric pressure cookers, like an Instant Pot, are set and forget appliances. Set the timer, hit the start button, and wait for it to finish. And they cook much, much faster than a Dutch Oven.

Here's an article that covers some of the basics:

Why Anything Slow Cookers Can Do, Others Can Do Better | Serious Eats
Old 02-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #16
Sous Chef

^^^^^ Well now, there's another thing to add to your information overload.

I can't say much about pressure cookers, because I've never owned one -- so far.

CD
Old 02-11-2017, 02:39 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
...because I've never owned one -- so far.

CD
Keep coming around here and you're sure to acquire all sorts of kitchen toys you never even considered pre-DC. A lot of us like to collect. *ducks head down - raises hand*

“A party without cake is just a meeting.” ~Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:05 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Keep coming around here and you're sure to acquire all sorts of kitchen toys you never even considered pre-DC. A lot of us like to collect. *ducks head down - raises hand*
I kick the idea around from time to time, but my kitchen is full now. When I got divorced, I sold the Dallas suburbanite "minimal" house -- big enough for two normal families -- and built a 1,620 square foot house. The kitchen is wonderful (mostly), but not big. If I get a pressure cooker, I'll have to get rid of something else to make room for it. That is a rule I've made for myself.

So, the pressure cooker has not yet justified getting rid of something else.

CD
Old 02-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
For a working person who wants to cook a meal in under an hour, you might want to consider a pressure cooker. Modern electric pressure cookers, like an Instant Pot, are set and forget appliances. Set the timer, hit the start button, and wait for it to finish. And they cook much, much faster than a Dutch Oven.

Instapots rock!! I love mine!!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
I kick the idea around from time to time, but my kitchen is full now. When I got divorced, I sold the Dallas suburbanite "minimal" house -- big enough for two normal families -- and built a 1,620 square foot house. The kitchen is wonderful (mostly), but not big. If I get a pressure cooker, I'll have to get rid of something else to make room for it. That is a rule I've made for myself.

So, the pressure cooker has not yet justified getting rid of something else.

CD
Well ya know........ Somewhere I heard that rules were made to be broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post

Thanks for the nice link.
A Crock Pot defiantly leaves something to be desired but the price points in the article show why the Crock Pot sells so well.

Tags
casserole, frying pan, le creuset, new pans, saucepan, stock, stock pot