"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-27-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Gas cookware advice

I am switching from glasstop to a gas stove. What cookware is best for a moderate price. Is SS the way to go?

Old 09-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Stainless steel is reasonably affordable (compared to cooper ...) and easy to maintain. For everyday pots and pans, I'd vote for SS, adding in a couple of good non-stick saute pans.

Get the best (= heaviest gauge) SS you can afford -- they'll last a lifetime and you won't regret it.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

What do you have now? Do you need to change? It is usually the other way around--need to change cookware for the glass cooktop.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
Master Chef

G asked my question -- why do you need new stuff? Not that new cookware isn't fun.

And also have to chime in with my constant "you can cook with anything on a glass cooktop" comment.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Head Chef

I have never had a glass top stove but just the regular one. Some day when my stove gets really old I thought I would look into the glass top stoves. They look like they are easy to clean. Is the reason you are changing stoves is because you don't like the glass top?

I would love you to let me know.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpj4
I have never had a glass top stove but just the regular one. Some day when my stove gets really old I thought I would look into the glass top stoves. They look like they are easy to clean. Is the reason you are changing stoves is because you don't like the glass top?

I would love you to let me know.
Maybe he moved from a place with a glass top to a place with gas.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
Executive Chef

any heavy pan is good. gas is very forgiving of warped pans because the flame doesn't care. GLasstops need flat stable pans. Heavy pans (thick metal) tranfers heat better and more evenly. THus AllClad, Calphalon, Le Creuset etc got their reputations and many others Revere Ware for instance lost theirs. You can buy a set if you find the right price, or you can shop for individual pieces as you find the need. MAybe your old pans are just fine and you want to add a few new ones. Ask around here, check out several store and see em for yourself.