"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-12-2015, 03:56 AM   #21
Senior Cook

I spent about 10 min with the cutting tool with a Dremel. I wore safety glasses. The worst part was feeling like it was sand blasting my face as I cut into the glass. It was easy to choke up on the tool and make some pretty precise cuts into the glassware. It's not the prettiest thing in the cupboard, but it didn't look like much when it had half of its paint chipped away either.

Worth my time? Yes.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:08 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Pyrex sounds like it's the gold standard. If I ever have to buy another, I'll spend the extra money here.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Since we're just months apart in age Andy, we used to hide from them, or did you forget?
I've forget a lot lately. So I cant dispute what you say. I probably thought it was just a game of hide and seek.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Note Pyrex are silk screened not painted on.
And yes Pyrex are well worth it and not that expensive.
I think last time I looked under $10.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #25
Head Chef

One thing to consider when buying new is that all measuring cups are not created equal. Consumer Reports did a review a few years ago and the Pyrex ones were actually rather inaccurate. I don't remember the details any more, but several brands were 1/8 cup or more off.

As I recall, the top recommendation was the Oxo ones with the angled side that you can read the graduations from the top as well as from the side. A great feature - you can set it level on the counter, pour in the ingredient and read the amount as you pour - no more adding a bit, checking, adding more, checking, pouring out excess, or bending over to read straight from the side. I have both the 1 and 2 cup versions of those (bought after reading the review), plus the 4 cup Pyrex. Since mine never go in the dishwasher, they stay in pristine condition. I can't put them in the machine because when I do I always need one of the cups before the next time we run it.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #26
Executive Chef

You will not find a better deal on measuring cups anywhere else! Anchor Hocking is a good brand, I'd say in the same category as Pyrex.

Speaking from experience, I do not recommend the plastic measuring cups from Oxo with the interior markings. They get cloudy after heavy use and they can melt when pouring in hot liquids, heating contents in the microwave, or when washed in the dishwasher. I inherited two Oxo plastic measuring cups when I took over the Amoretti Test Kitchen and they were a disaster. I had the management order me some Pyrex glass measuring cups, a one cup and a two cup. At home I have a 4 cup, a 2 cup, and two 1 cup Pyrex measuring cups.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Actually, my 2 cup and 1 cup go back to wedding shower stuff.. That was back in the day when a young bride had never left home, and needed everything to outfit a kitchen. Things like that were really appreciated. Geeze, I even remember who gave them to me, wrapped in two pretty hand embroiderd white flour sack tea towels.
I've never had a 4 cup..I should get one.
I like to use my 4 cup for pancake/waffle batter.
The 8 cup I use to pour turkey pan liquid in, fat rises and I use my baster to suck out that liquid gold from the bottom for my gravy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Okay, one of you owes me a new monitor...
OMG ROLFLMAO!! People in lunch room think I'm looney laughing.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
I spent about 10 min with the cutting tool with a Dremel. I wore safety glasses. The worst part was feeling like it was sand blasting my face as I cut into the glass. It was easy to choke up on the tool and make some pretty precise cuts into the glassware. It's not the prettiest thing in the cupboard, but it didn't look like much when it had half of its paint chipped away either.

Worth my time? Yes.

What bit did you end up using?
Old 10-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good reason to have multiple 4 cup measuring cups. I have more turkey than 2 people can eat, so I used one 4 cupper for the low sodium Stovetop Stuffing, and another for the Idahoan Mashed Potatoes, both nuked. Made two casseroles, one for tonight, and one to freeze.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Off to look in my kitchen.
1 8 cup metal
These are all glass
2 each 4, 2, 1 cup and 5 oz.
1 4 oz
1 1.5 oz
1 1 oz.
1 oz plastic that came with the bread machine.
On dry I have at least 2 each in plastic ranging from 1/8 to 2 cups.
Including 2/3 cup.
That is the 19 piece progressive set on Amazon.
Many metal ones too.