"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
If you can afford them, consider one of these French carbon steel fry pans: Shop French Carbon Steel Fry Pan at CHEFS. .

They should last a lifetime and produce great results at high temperature.
I use one of those for searing...indestructible!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
Cook

Carbon Steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
If you can afford them, consider one of these French carbon steel fry pans: Shop French Carbon Steel Fry Pan at CHEFS. .

They should last a lifetime and produce great results at high temperature.
No thanks!

Well behaved women rarely make history!

or
GuaranteedGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #13
Cook

Antique vs new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
It's a SS pan, as the tri-ply line is only clad SS, not non-stick coated.
It is made in a non-stick according to a rep I spoke with at work. Glad you didn't go that route.
http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/c...Id=CLCat100295

Model
Detail
Suggested Retail
LN1388
8" Omelette with Nonstick Interior
$65.00
LN1390
10" Omelette with Nonstick Interior
$85.00
LN1392
12" Omelette with Nonstick Interior
$105.00

Quote:
I'm also a cast iron snob. There's no way I'd buy Lodge after using one. I don't like the textured surface, and my antique cast iron's quality is WAY higher.
I agree Antique is usually better than new. The "rough" surface get smoother as it's used. I'm sure the antique pan didn't start out the way it is today!

I'm very lucky that I get to "play" with a lot of different products and of course, we all have our own set of ideas of what makes the "perfect" tool for a specific job or set of tasks.

Good luck with your return. I agree that, if possible, and only looking for an exchange - try BB&B.

Well behaved women rarely make history!

or
GuaranteedGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
Cook

The antique cast iron pans were actually machined smooth inside because it makes a better surface and they weren't concerned with pumping out the cheapest product they thought they could get away with. There was a thread about it a few weeks ago that I remember reading.

Maybe I'll see if I can exchange the pan at BB&B.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Hey, it just occurred to me that I have three oval, copper-clad stainless steel frying pans marked "Scavullo" and "Legion Utensils" that I've never used...a gift from someone who never used them. Searing pans! No loss if I burn 'em. *edit* Oh, jeez, never mind...I just found the Legion Cookware website and priced this stuff. I'm afraid to use 'em and get 'em dirty, now.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I have had similar frustrating experience with Calphalon Tri-ply, All-Clad 12" French skillet and Tramontina Tri-ply since i moved into a new home that was outfitted with a smooth cooktop. My frustration grew so big that for a while i quit using my tri-ply pieces altogether. I might be wrong but i think it has to do with the way smooth top heat up in jolts of heat rather than the constant heat of gas tops. I am far better satisfied with skillets and saute pans with a heavy encapsulated bottom. I use Kuhn Ricon and Cuisinart. The reason being that they stay flat on the smooth top and never rock. So does cast iron but with cast iron you should be carefull not to scratch the surface of your cooktop.
I cant wait to be able to rid of this fancy brand new smooth cooktop and get a gas top. Smooth tops are made for show and as far as i am concerned i would rather use top with the old coils.
Good Luck.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I'd certainly send it back to Calphalon - but first I'd contact them
by email or snail mail and let them know of the telephone experience.

I have Calphalon annodized 10 qt, stockpot and 12 in covered
'chefs' pan.

Love both.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
I recently bought a Calphalon Tri-ply 12" SS omelet pan to use with my ceramic flat-top range. After fewer than 3 months, the pan has warped beyond belief (I never run water on it when it's hot or anything, I always let it sit on the range to cool while I eat dinner, then wash it).
Just been thinking about this a bit more. The interior and exterior SS should be sufficiently strong enough to prevent warping that occurs in aluminum cookware. I wouldn't be surprised if they've used overly thin SS in the cladding process.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I cant figure something out. I own caphalon tri Ply SS frying pans and everything is sticking to them? What am I doing wrong? Whenever I make an omlette I lose half off it to the surface of the pan and then Im with the brillo scraping it off.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

There are a few steps you can follow to ensure stick-free cooking.

1. The pan must be thoroughly cleaned. Any foreign matter or food residue in the pan will guarantee sticking.

2. Heat the pan to the temperature you will be cooking at.

3. Add the fat and wait until that is also hot and ready to go.

4. Add the food and let it sit, undisturbed, for a few minutes.

Foods will stick initially then unstick as a crust forms. Wait for this to happen don't try to rush it.

It's especially difficult with eggs. Most folks have a non-stick pan just for eggs. Use plenty of clarified butter. That will help.