"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
All of my plastics are Lock and Locks...they DO NOT go in the microwave or Shrek will be murdered in his sleep. He's an enthusiastic microwaver and thinks more time is the best, we paid too much for the L&L for him to ruin it.

I set aside three smaller L&L's for him to store onion in, although I don't know why he can't use a zip bag. I got tired of taking 2-3 days to get the onion smell out.

Well, PF, that goes back to another thread....about people who are unable to do "zip lock!" I wrap mine in Glad Wrap and close with a twist tie.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

My plastic saver containers go in the dishwasher and come out squeaky clean. I never microwave foods in plastic containers any more. It wrecks the plastic and is potentially hazardous to our health.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Well, PF, that goes back to another thread....about people who are unable to do "zip lock!" I wrap mine in Glad Wrap and close with a twist tie.
Oh, he can use them, but for some reason insists on the L&L's to store onion.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Tupperware not available over here for years. I use "Lock and Lock" - not cheap but not as expensive as T'ware would be - and find them very good. They can be used in the freezer and the microwave (with the clips loosened) and they don't feel greasy. They do stain if you freeze anything tomato-y in them but I get round that by putting a poly bag inside and the tomato sauce, etc., in that. Can you get L&L where you are?

Some of the cheaper versions of L&L can be a bit lethal to unfasten - I've shed blood before now so check the clips before you buy.

We can still get Tupperware but no one has any interest in it since stores started selling such good plastic ware. Tupperware is so over priced, but there are a few things I bought from them since I couldn't find them anywhere else. One of them was very small plastic containers that held two tablespoons of dressing to take to work.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #25
Head Chef

So many great suggestions! Thanks, guys and gals!

Short brief replies to some of the suggestions:
I buy Tupperware at Goodwill. In fact that's where I buy all my plastic stuff. I'm 'cheap' but I prefer to think of it as recycling.

Dawn sounds like it's good for a try. The foam Dawn----- I can only find refills for it. Does that have to be used in a pump bottle especially made for foam soap? I not only can't find Dawn foam soap in the dispenser pump bottle---- but the empty ones for sale are expensive.
So---- would just a bit of 'regular' Dawn squirted on a sponge do the same grease removal job?

I'm gradually replacing most of my plastic with glass containers---- most often glass Kerr or Ball jars for canning. Would like something rectangular also--- like SnapLock.

Lock and Lock----- some reviewers on Amazon said that only one lid came for three containers? Is that true???? Can't be, right? And that the snaps broke off sometimes. (Yes, I know, mostly only the disgrunted will post reviews)

The idea of reusing cottage cheese, yogurt containers is a good one----- but I prefer to use something that's see-through.

Just my personal opinion---- but I prefer not to put plastic in the microwave---- although I certainly have at times when rushed or forgetful.

Lemon, vinegar etc sounds good----- but I'm trying to KISS since my friend does most of the washing up.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Dawn sounds like it's good for a try. The foam Dawn----- I can only find refills for it. Does that have to be used in a pump bottle especially made for foam soap? I not only can't find Dawn foam soap in the dispenser pump bottle---- but the empty ones for sale are expensive.
So---- would just a bit of 'regular' Dawn squirted on a sponge do the same grease removal job?
In order to foam, you need the dispenser, but the refill works fine with just a little on your dish rag. I also put some in my OXO dish brush that dispenses soap. Works a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Lock and Lock----- some reviewers on Amazon said that only one lid came for three containers? Is that true???? Can't be, right? And that the snaps broke off sometimes. (Yes, I know, mostly only the disgrunted will post reviews)
I have broken two L&L's, dropping from a height of 5' from the freezer, so it will break when frozen. All of mine have come with their own lid, there is a "new" style that the same lids fit all three sizes of the containers, but each one has it's own lid. What's nice about them is they are stackable one inside the other and there is no lid matching.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I have a mishmash of different containers. I never microwave in plastic containers, and I usually use empty cottage cheese, ricotta cheese etc containers when I'm giving the kids leftovers to take home because they will NEVER return my good containers when I give them out.

Also, my husband has a habit of using the lid to a containers to give the dog a treat, such as leftover meat from dinner. Sorry. I love my dog, but will not use a lid he has licked.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I find soups, chili, gravies, and casseroles freeze beautifully in cottage cheese containers, labeled with masking tape, so I don't need them to be see-through. Never had a freezer burn issue, and a perfect 2 person serving.

I would never nuke any plastic container either.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't own any good plastic containers. My kids are the take out queens and kings of the world. So if they send me something it will be in one of those containers. I don't bother to return it. And if I send them something, they get back a take out container. Not necessarily the one they sent me. But I don't freeze in any of them. For freezing, I use my food saver. I will freeze liquids in a covered bowl or dish, then transfer to a FS bag.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I have what I consider "good containers"..nice heavy ones with nice lids. I use them when I take something to a pot luck etc, as I will be bringing it back home and I want the container to look nice. The kids get the Cool Whip containers. LOL There is one restaurant we go to that has very nice clear plastic containers and I like to get them. I use them to freeze soup etc so I can see through them, but like Dawgluver said, they don't really have to be see-through if you label them. I have a Food Saver and I know you can get containers to use with it but I only use the rolls of plastic and make the bags custom size.

Tags
easy