"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #31
Head Chef

I agree, with masking tape as a label you can re-use cottage cheese containers or like.

But, and I'm really being anal here----where do I put the masking tape? On the top? Then I can't see what's in it unless I take off all the other containers on top of it.

On the side? Which side? Is anyone that neat that all their labels will be facing one way and survive in that position after either kids, husband or me forages through the freezer looking for something?

All the way around? the container? A whole lotta masking tape.

You can see my problem. At least with a see through container I have a chance of seeing if it's leftover broccoli soup or a stew.

It's not easy being me.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

I use a white board marker on the lids of my plastic containers. It washes off with soapy sponge as long as you don't run it through the dry cycle in your dishwasher. That makes it harder to remove and you have to resort to Goo Gone. Works for me, YMMV.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I agree, with masking tape as a label you can re-use cottage cheese containers or like.

But, and I'm really being anal here----where do I put the masking tape? On the top? Then I can't see what's in it unless I take off all the other containers on top of it.

On the side? Which side? Is anyone that neat that all their labels will be facing one way and survive in that position after either kids, husband or me forages through the freezer looking for something?

All the way around? the container? A whole lotta masking tape.

You can see my problem. At least with a see through container I have a chance of seeing if it's leftover broccoli soup or a stew.

It's not easy being me.
I put the labels on the lid. Then into the chest freezer, or the freezer drawer of the fridge, so no matter what, I have to move containers. Wouldn't do me much good to have see-thru containers. I do use my Foodsaver a lot too.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

The best plastic food saver containers I've used are made by Rubbermaid. I bought a couple of dozen containers of various sizes 12-15 years ago and still use them regularly. I'e dropped them pout of the freezer and some of the edges chip off. The interior is scarred from heating foods in the microwave. BUT, they seal tightly, wash easily and seem to last forever. Nothing SO or I have bought since measures up for performance and price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubbermaid.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	18710  
Old 10-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The best plastic food saver containers I've used are made by Rubbermaid. I bought a couple of dozen containers of various sizes 12-15 years ago and still use them regularly. I'e dropped them pout of the freezer and some of the edges chip off. The interior is scarred from heating foods in the microwave. BUT, they seal tightly, wash easily and seem to last forever. Nothing SO or I have bought since measures up for performance and price.
We have a couple of the round ones and they are pretty much bullet proof. We've had them almost 10 years and they always go through the dishwasher and the lids still seal well.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We have a couple of the round ones and they are pretty much bullet proof. We've had them almost 10 years and they always go through the dishwasher and the lids still seal well.

Yeah! So why did they stop making them?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yeah! So why did they stop making them?

Maybe because everyone already has them and they last forever? LOL
Old 10-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Maybe because everyone already has them and they last forever? LOL
LOL. That must be it.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

If you are going to use plastic and have to buy new, use items that say BPA Free.
I slowly have been weeding my plastic out to the recycle bin.
I do reuse containers; sour cream, ricotta, chinese takeout, etc. to freeze or give leftovers away, but they do not hold up to the microwave.
For tough stains I do agree with ORIGINAL blue Dawn works great. If that doesn't work, I don't like putting them in the dishwasher, but will fill container with very hot water and put a couple of drops/plops of liquid dishwasher soap in, swish it around and let it sit over night. Dump the water and wash and dry by hand. They look new afterward.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
...I don't like putting them in the dishwasher, but will fill container with very hot water and put a couple of drops/plops of liquid dishwasher soap in, swish it around and let it sit over night...
Just curious, why don't you like to put them in the DW?

Tags
easy