"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Head Chef

"Greasy" plastic containers

Not exactly cookware----- but------

What brands/types of plastic containers have you found that can be washed (by hand) and won't retain that greasy feel after washing, washing, washing.

I think that Tupperware might be good. Also Rubbermaid?
Any thoughts or preferences?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Head Chef

I've given up on plastic; I haven't replaced 100% of my plastic containers with glass yet but that is the goal.

I tossed them when they got like that. Or when they got pitted (from someone who gets a little over enthusiastic when re-heating leftovers in the microwave).

Plastic and food shouldn't really be together any more than absolutely necessary, imo. ;)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I've given up on plastic; I haven't replaced 100% of my plastic containers with glass yet but that is the goal.

I tossed them when they got like that. Or when they got pitted (from someone who gets a little over enthusiastic when re-heating leftovers in the microwave).

Plastic and food shouldn't really be together any more than absolutely necessary, imo. ;)
Same here. I hate plastic in my kitchen.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I reuse cottage cheese, yogurt and sour cream containers. If they get too greasy or stained, I recycle them with the plastics, but usually they clean up pretty good (I do have a dishwasher). I don't have any Tupperware, though we got some antimicrobial plastic containers that came free when we bought our last fridge, and they clean up nicely. I don't remember the brand name.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use Dawn Direct Foam, it cleans plastic fabulously!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hmm. Will have to get some!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

What brands/types of plastic containers have you found that can be washed (by hand) and won't retain that greasy feel after washing, washing, washing.

Tupperware not available over here for years. I use "Lock and Lock" - not cheap but not as expensive as T'ware would be - and find them very good. They can be used in the freezer and the microwave (with the clips loosened) and they don't feel greasy. They do stain if you freeze anything tomato-y in them but I get round that by putting a poly bag inside and the tomato sauce, etc., in that. Can you get L&L where you are?

Some of the cheaper versions of L&L can be a bit lethal to unfasten - I've shed blood before now so check the clips before you buy.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

Can't comment on Tupperware because I haven't owned any of that in many many years.

However, I own a lot of Rubbermaid. I purchase only the ones that can stack inside each other so they only consume a small area for storage.

I love Rubbermaid brand because they can take the heat of a microwave re-heat and they clean up beautifully.

I use Dawn exclusively in my kitchen. It will get the grease off of anything and it rinses away quickly.

I had 1 time where I had to wash a rubbermaid container twice and that was after I emptied a small tub of bacon grease from it.

You might want to try Dawn - it works really well. And if you are looking for good plasticware and need it quick - Rubbermaid is available almost everywhere and it comes in great nesting sets.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Tupperware not available over here for years. I use "Lock and Lock" - not cheap but not as expensive as T'ware would be - and find them very good. They can be used in the freezer and the microwave (with the clips loosened) and they don't feel greasy. They do stain if you freeze anything tomato-y in them but I get round that by putting a poly bag inside and the tomato sauce, etc., in that. Can you get L&L where you are?

Some of the cheaper versions of L&L can be a bit lethal to unfasten - I've shed blood before now so check the clips before you buy.
All of my plastics are Lock and Locks...they DO NOT go in the microwave or Shrek will be murdered in his sleep. He's an enthusiastic microwaver and thinks more time is the best, we paid too much for the L&L for him to ruin it.

I set aside three smaller L&L's for him to store onion in, although I don't know why he can't use a zip bag. I got tired of taking 2-3 days to get the onion smell out.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
All of my plastics are Lock and Locks...they DO NOT go in the microwave or Shrek will be murdered in his sleep. He's an enthusiastic microwaver and thinks more time is the best, we paid too much for the L&L for him to ruin it.

I set aside three smaller L&L's for him to store onion in, although I don't know why he can't use a zip bag. I got tired of taking 2-3 days to get the onion smell out.

I don't actually cook things in the L&L in the m'wave. I only reheat or thaw things so they are OK for that but I suppose if I had a Shrek and he wanted to cremate things it would be a different matter.

I find *bicarbonate of soda very good with onion smells. I mix to a paste, rub round the offending article, leave to stand for a short while and wash in hot water.
(*baking soda)

Tags
easy