"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 10-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #31
I have 4 cast iron pieces. 2 are Griswold cast iron pans. a 10" from the late 1800's and a 8" from the 1930's. They are head and shoulders above my more modern Wagner pieces. Smoother interior finish and a little lighter/thinner. (in a good way) That being said, I have no issue using my smaller Wagner pan or my double sided griddle, which are new(er). I also have 2 carbon steel pans which are excellent also. The only SS pan my wife and I still use is a large 14" pan for rice dishes such as risotto, etc. Cleaning CI is simple, wipe it out with a paper towel while it's still warm/hot, lightly coat with oil if necessary. I haven't had a non-stick pan in my kitchen in 10 years. Got tired of buying them every year along with concerned with ingesting the coating. (it had to go somewhere???)

Large Big Green Egg
Jenn Air NG 3 burner grill
Weber Genesis Silver B
Wood Fired Oven (Self Built '08)
70chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
Executive Chef
I use the George Foreman Lean, Mean Grillin' Machine to grill meat, poultry, and fish. I also use it to make waffles. They come in different sizes for different sized families, and if you get the G5 with interchangeable plates you can just toss the dirty plates in the dishwasher.

Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #33
I prefer ci or ss so much that sometimes I think non-stick is just a scam.

BTW, what is the point of the ridges in a grill pan (and please don't say it's to reduce the wonderful and healthful fat)?
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #34
Head Chef
IMO, Both, some things you just can't do in cast iron & vice versa. If it was me and I needed only 1 pan I would go for the non stick 1st, then a cast iron. But both have there own values. For eggs, omelets and crapes you can't beat non stick. Also acidic foods will not be a problem in a non stick pan as they will in cast.
When it comes to searing a steak or high heat cooking & frying cast iron is hard to beat, but you should not u
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #35
Head Chef
Sorry my post was cut off and I can not edit at this time. Pissed off!
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #36
Master Chef
People are always saying that you can't cook acidic foods in cast iron. I beg to differ. my experience has been that once the pan is properly seasoned, it will cook anything, including highly acidic and alkali foods, without any problems from off flavors and leaching metal. The seasoning is a thin layer of very tough carbon (polymerized oil from high temperatures), that create a seal between the metal and the foods. It's also the part that makes a well seasoned pan nearly stick free. I have seasoned cast iron, carbon steel, and aluminum pans succesfully, and all work very well for their intended purposes.

As for the ridges on a grill pan, they simply lift the food out of the grease. This is sometimes a good things, sometimes not, depending on what's being prepared.

Another wive's tale is that searing with high heat seals in juices. It does not. Cooking to proper temperature gives juicy meats. The high heat simply develops flavor through the maillard reaction.

Cast iron and high-carbon steel are very similar in their cooking properties, with the high-carbon steel generally weighing less than its cast iron cousin. Of course the steel is less brittle than is iron. Also, steel, carbon steel, and cast iron are all pour conductors of heat, and quickly develop hot spots due to that poor conductivity. Cast iron minimizes the problem by its mass. It takes more time for that mass to heat, and thereby allows the heat to propagate through the pan more thoroughly. On the other hand, carbon-steel and stainless steel heat more quickly, and if used with a heat diffuser can be used effectively for stir fries, sauteing, and bringing liquids rapidly to a boil. Cast iron is great for frying due to its thermal mass. It stores more heat, and therefore is less prone to cooling rapidly when cold foods are added.

Cast iron can be cracked by placing a very hot pan into cold water, or pouring very cold water into a hot pan. This is caused by thermal shock. Cast iron isn't very malleable. Thermal shcok will cause steel to warp. Cast iron breaks.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote