"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Grill pan: cast-iron vs. non-stick

I am interested in buying a grill pan, since I live in an apartment where outdoor grills are not permitted. I have been looking around and I am having a tough time deciding between the Lodge 10-inch square cast iron grill pan and the Calphalon Unison 12-inch circle non-stick grill pan. At first I thought the cast-iron since they are supposed to hold up well and have good heat retention. But then I read Cook’s Illustrated’s review of grill pans and they basically say to not buy cast iron (due to clean up). But… I also thought non-stick surfaces were not good to heat to high heat, which I assume would be needed to get good grill marks? So I am a little torn on which to choose. Does anyone have any recommendations between these two or any other grill pan?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I don't own either but I would get cast iron because if you take care of it then you can use it forever.

That and I want a cast iron pan bad.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

One issue with grill pans is smoke. Be sure you have a very good ventilation system before you get one. One that blows back into the kitchen won't do the trick. You'll be setting off smoke alarms.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have a cast-iron grill pan and loooooove it! I did take a little while to season it to perfection but once it was seasoned, it's awesome.

Andy's correct about the potential for some smoke but that's not really been a problem I've experienced. The first kitchen I used the pan in didn't have any kind of ventilation system, the current kitchen has an over-the-range ventilation fan, but it doesn't vent outside. We have had no problems.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Master Chef

I like my cast iron cookware for anything which needs to be cook very hot and fast.....like steaks. Clean up is easy, but weight can be an issue for some.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Properly seasoned, cast iron is not difficult to clean. It definitely gets my vote. I have a round one and a rectangular one.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I agree, go for the cast iron.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I like my cast iron cookware for anything which needs to be cook very hot and fast.....like steaks. Clean up is easy, but weight can be an issue for some.
I suppose so but, even though I have a huge challenge with severe arthritis in both my hands, I WILL NEVER GIVE UP my cast-iron. I have devised ways to handle the weight and will continue until I have my hands repaired.

Still, I endorse cast-iron for any piece. It will serve you well.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I had a grill pan but got rid of it. I just use the 10" or 12" skillet
Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I don't have any grill but I have a cast iron skillet I sometimes use for grilling steaks. It works fine for me. I clean it off with a nylon scrubber and plain water, no soap, no problems. It's heavy but my hands and wrists are strong and I have no problem with the weight. It does generate a lot of smoke when grilling steaks.

One thing for sure, it will last forever, surely longer than I have on this planet.

In worst case you spray on oven cleaner, let it sit, scrub with soap and abrasive pad, then re-season it. I've never had to do that. My mom gave me the skillet decades ago. It was an old skillet she had for decades too. It's probably easily 50 years old. Probably easily good for another 50 years, maybe even 100 years. As long as you don't just leave it sitting in water for a long time, like in your garden for a year or two.

Tags
grill