"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 08-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
Master Chef
The stove top grills are fine, unless you have a smooth glass cooktop like I do.

I LOVE my "George Foreman" grill. It beats the broiler and stove-top grills big-time.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:02 PM   #12
Best indoor grill is the broiler, featured in most ovens. You want to crack the door on the oven when broiling so that you get "broil/grill" and not "steamed."

I broil/grill on an oven broiler all the time. A full sized-kitchen range oven, and a smaller, counter-top oven, broiler.

Distance from food to heat elements is crucial. When I do London Broil, a thick steak, I move the meat on the grill down to the lowest point on the broiler -- slow grill.

Beef, medium rare should run about 140F internal temp. That's about 11 min. on each side in a countertop broiler. That's London Broil -- a flank cut and thick, really thick, like 2".

More options --

I have a gas grill. It's an "Everyday Living" which I think is a Kroger house brand. It uses 16.4 oz butane cartridge tanks. These tanks are about 22,000 BTU. The grill is 11,000 BTU. So about two hours on one gas cartridge.

Weber makes a "Go Anywhere" grill which is the same product for about three times the $$$.

These work off the back of the tail-gate -- at the beach, I don't do football games.

But you can take these grills to the park and set up on a picnic table.

Technically, there are "smoke boxes" available for grills. Cast iron boxes for smoke chips. You put the chips in the box and put them on the grill. They smoke and in the process smoke the food -- BBQ, rather then the more traditional "grilling."

Best investment for grilling is a meat thermometer. You can find thermomters that give you "oven temp" -- which are extremely useful in smoking. You want about 200 F for smoking for oven temp. Beef medium rare is 140 F.

140 F for "medium rare" on beef. I upset waitresses when ordering a steak. "I want it 135 F. internal temp."

Grilling is a great means for meat prep. You can use a broiler -- or a portable grill (NOT INSIDE!!!). But ample options for a grill out in the park, off the back of the vehicle in the parking lot. Grill on the patio, deck.

Don't do a "grill" indoors -- even with the windows open.

Daphne duLibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #13
Moving on -- grilling.

Jeez, my favorite food . . . grilled, boneless pork ribs, or some sort of beef (London Broil).

Grilled tomato based sauces (BBQ) tend to burn on the grill. Sorry -- I basted in tomato base sauce on a grill and let it char. Somehow I like it.

Pork ribs. I've been partial to tossing them in a Pyrex casserole dish, covering with tomato based sauce and "grilling" in the oven for an hour or so. (Use your meat thermometer!)

In a pan, chops, ribs, etc, in sauce aren't really "grilling." But they come out moist, tender, and tasty.

I do London Broil -- a beef favorite -- brush with tomato base sauce, lowest level on the grill/broiler. I expect the oven temp is in the range of 200 F. -- which seems not to char the sauce too badly.

Grill the beef to 135 -- 140 F. "medium rare."

I'm a bit spoiled on BBQ -- Here's the pix of the "rig" out in front of the barn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ4.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	273  
Daphne duLibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Try this.............

I just purchased one and we love it (had it about 2 wks)!!! My husband did not think that it would sear steaks, but guess what....it does!!! It has a sear setting. When you go to Amazon.com, read all the comments made by consumers like us. I love that fact that it is a 4 way appliance, plus the fact that it does not take up much counter space when closed!

YorkieMominFL is offline   Reply With Quote