"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to TheLemonSong
Grilling Indoors?

I have a round grill pan, but I was wondering if there might be something I could simply place overtop of my burners that would act as a mock-grill indoors. I live alone in an apartment with no balcony or patio.

I don't want something like the Foreman grill, but I'd like something similar, although with only less than 3 feet TOTAL of counter space electric might not be the best option.

Anyone have any comments/thoughts about this "dilemma"?

Old 08-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

You probably already have something, but not for on top of your stove. Open the stove and look inside. See the broiler? That is actually an upside down grill.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Something like this, maybe?

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b.../21at8154.html
Old 08-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
Master Chef

Well, your round grill pan is already one solution - it just probably only fits over one burner.

GB also stated the best alternative to that ... use your broiler.

Only other suggestion, if you're looking for something that fits over two burners, is a Lodge Cast Iron Reversible Double Burner Grill/Griddle - it's 10.5x20 inches ... has a grill on one side and a griddle on the other. I got mine at WalMart and I think it was about $40 (it's the LodgeLogic preseasoned model). Of course, there are other makes of double burner grills - that are nonstick stainless steel or aluminum ... but they are not reversable and will cost you more.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I've heard that this particular brand is good because the "grates" are raised higher than other brands which allows for better grill marks. I've heard that it also heats evenly as well. Flavor-wise though, nothing will come close to the real thing unfortunately.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/(p3md0s4...p=3&item=95792
Old 08-10-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
Master Chef

Thanks for jogging my semi-dead brain cells Ironchef .... I forgot to mention another good reversable grill/griddle ... it's cast aluminum, made by Nordic Ware ... runs about $30 (I found it on Amazon.com originally but have seen it a couple of other places for more). It's lighter, a little larger, less expensive, and would heat quicker than the Lodge cast iron grill/griddle.

There are literally dozens of double-burner grill pans that are not reversable .... but they are generally coated with non-stick and cost a lot more than either one of these.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but have you seen the Weber portable gas barbequeues?

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...re=&catid=4283

They should both fit on your counter when you want to use them, and most importantly there's the added bonus that you can take 'em with you to the park on a sunny day (yeah, you still won't get that smoked charcoal flavour, but it's closer than a grillpan...)
Old 08-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknaps
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but have you seen the Weber portable gas barbequeues?

They should both fit on your counter when you want to use them, and most importantly there's the added bonus that you can take 'em with you to the park on a sunny day (yeah, you still won't get that smoked charcoal flavour, but it's closer than a grillpan...)

YIKES -- you can't use a propane grill indoors!

That's very dangerous.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
Master Chef

Ditto what jennyema said! You can't use butane, propane, or even charcoal indoors unless you don't care if you die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning! If you read the instructions that come with any of these (even a bag of charcoal) they will tell you NOT to use them indoors!

The ONLY exception would be if you had a fireplace and cooked over a fire in the fireplace. Of course, if you had a fireplace, you wouldn't need anything other than some wood.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
Sous Chef

In the 'brat hot tub' thread, someone mentioned having and liking the Aroma Health Grill, so I finally found one at a decent price and bought it. I've used it once for marinated boneless chicken breasts, and they turned out great. It does not have deep grill grates, but it cooked very nicely nevertheless. I was looking for something for winter time grilling, that would not splatter like the Foreman grills or the stovetop grill pans, and this one has a nice tempered glass lid. Of course, there's no comparison to the taste of the charcoal grill, but it looks like it will do exactly what I wanted it to.

BC