Griswold vs Wagner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Cast Iron Do You Like Better?

• Wagner

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Griswold

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
I had never heard that. My Wagner is "made in USA". BTW, my grandfather once showed me how to steel a carbon-bladed knife on the bottom of a cast iron frying pan.

I have Griswold, Wagner, and my favorite skillet is one that is only marked SK. I don't know if this is a maker mark, or simply designates skillet. I would buy anything I thought was old, was priced right, I needed or wanted, and didn't say ROK. China or Lodge on it.

I have 3 griswold pans and only one wager as well as 2 no name old dutch ovens and an older lodge grill plan. I have to say the griswolds are lovely but the wager is pretty nice too.

Wagner should bear a "Sidney" mark and Griswold and "Erie" so you know they are authentic and from the good ol days when we made things right

I think the cost of a large Griswold can be high and you can get a better deal on a Wagner that will be just as good.

There are lots of beautiful nameless antique pans too just pick em up and feel them and see if they are ground smoothe and nicely balanced.

Love that old cast iron there is just nothing like it

I have one stamped "5A", one stamped "Made in USA", and the other is stamped "Wagner 1891 Original Cast Iron Cookware" followed by "seasoning instructions" followed by "10 1/2 inch skillet Made In USA".
I never knew it had the instructions on the bottom, LOL. Thanks for making me look!

I have Griswold, Wagner, No Name, even have a Wopak. Their all old and all work fine. I lost track of which ones have fire rings and which are flat bottoms.

The same size pans from Griswold will have different weights. Unlike the fancy French stuff this is by design.

Out in the garage I have two stacks of iron, couple of them even have chrome.

I should put them on eBay and see if they move.

I have one stamped "5A", one stamped "Made in USA", and the other is stamped "Wagner 1891 Original Cast Iron Cookware" followed by "seasoning instructions" followed by "10 1/2 inch skillet Made In USA".
I never knew it had the instructions on the bottom, LOL. Thanks for making me look!
I have never seen CI with seasoning instructions on the bottom. That would be interesting. What does it say?

I have never seen CI with seasoning instructions on the bottom. That would be interesting. What does it say?

I've seen this, IIRC only on Lodge, which, Thank God I don't even have to consider owning.

Some like the stipple surface, to me it's just a crud gatherer.

And I have issues with the quality of metal.

These instructions are on a Wagner, but I would have to clean up the bottom of it a little in order to read them, LOL. I have to head out now, but later I will try and clean it up a little from its last use and post a picture of it if you like.

Griswold and Wagner were both good foundries - and made comparable quality CI products. You can't go wrong with either one.

FWIW: Some Griswold pans were made by Wagner - Wagner bought the molds from Griswold.

You might want to read this and this.

I didn't vote because I think both are comparable in quality.

These are the seasoning instructions I found on the bottom of my 10 1/2 inch Wagner skillet. You can't make out the instructions on the pan from the picture, but this is what it says on the bottom:
Wagner's 1891 Original Cast Iron Cookware
Seasoning Instructions:
1. Scour thoroughly
2. Coat with cooking oil
3. Heat in 300 degree oven - 1 hour
4. Remove excess oil
Ready for use - reseason as necessary
10 1/2 inch skillet Made In USA

Kinda neat to find that there all along and didn't even know it. The wife says she picked it up brand new from a garage sale about 8 years ago or so. Brand new as in the owner had never used it before selling it. Our other two unknown brands we got from a neighbor that didn't want them anymore, they had seen heavy use.
All have been heavily used by us and barely kept up so I would have to say all are of great quality. We do have a 4th pan that is very thin and light that says "Patented ACME Nov. 14th 1876". It seems to be holding up pretty well too.
In all honesty even if I were to consider Griswold and Wagner too be much better than Lodge in quality, I still don't think I would ever turn down a Lodge pan if given to me or I had the opportunity to pick it up at a garage sale.
To me picking between the three brands is almost like nitpicking over only slight differences.

Attachments

• DSCF2072.jpg
    DSCF2072.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCF2073.jpg
    DSCF2073.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom