Griswold vs Wagner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Cast Iron Do You Like Better?

• Wagner

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Griswold

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

GB

Chief Eating Officer
At some point I will be buying either a Griswold or Wagner cast iron pan off eBay, unless I can find one at a garage sale (no luck yet after years of half heartedly looking).

I know they are both great. I am guessing this is sort of a Coke vs Pepsi thing in which some people like one and some like the other and there is no clear winner.

based on who wins this poll, that is the brand I will probably go with.

I don't know anything about Wagner, so my vote is for Griswold, based on they were made where I grew up. I have one and it's very black and shiny :)

Like Pacanis, I have a Griswold but not a Wagner. Mine is great. I understand that Wagner is also very good, but I haven't worked with one myself.

Cookware? I thought he worked in food additives?
clark-griswold-tree.jpg

And I have a Lodge, so I'm not allowed to vote.

GB, If you vacation in ME, there is a strip of antique shops on rte 1 in Wells. The shop on the far end had several Griswold pans. They weren't priced so not sure how much they were but the guy had several sizes. I lucked out and got mine from a friend who was looking for someone to give her's too. She had too many can you believe it? They were from her mother.

Oh Elaine thanks for that info. We do usually go up to Ogunquit each year. this is the first year that we have not gone in probably about 5 years or so. The summer is not over yet thought so maybe we still might make it up there this year. I will definitely check that place out.

...now I have to resist voting Wagner just because he's a dreamboat.

So can someone explain why Griswold &/or Wagner is better than any other pan? I have Lodge, too. Not because I love it but because it was economical and works fine.

you can't go wrong with either one. I voted for Wagner, I have never had a griswold. I have 6 CI pieces and the best of the lot is a Wagner, it is a 4 inch deep skillet that I use for most applications. It is smooth as glass.

When I was in college, the first time, I went with a friend to an old farmhouse sale and ended up buying 2 wagners. Had not one clue why I did that, I just knew I wanted them. And this was years before I started cooking. I have hauled these pans around for 38 years and they are treasured.

I have both, and like each for its individual qualities, regardless of maker. Just picked up an old 9" Wagner at the thrift for $6. It is CI, but thinner than most CI frying pans. Looks like it should heat quickly. It came very well seasoned, smooth and shiny inside.

Most of my cast iron has come from thrift stores. I used to pass by the Wagner to get to the Griswold. But they both seem to be getting rarer.

Of course that could be where I am living. When I was in Nebraska, it seemed that there was more cast iron to be had at better prices than here in Tucson.

In Tucson, I almost never see Griswold, so I have picked up a few pieces of Wagner and a Lodge dutch oven. I also have picked up some Lodge at Marshalls.

Try thrift stores and TJ Maxx/Ross/Marshalls.

Chad

For the gas $ it would cost me to get to a flea market I could buy one of each pan off eBay :LOL:

Do you have any antique shops or resale shops around? Or how about any local websites that allow you to post free stuff, or requests for what your wanting to sell or looking for. Some of the antique and resale places have a book where you can write down what your looking for.

Or send out an email to those friends of your locally and let them know your looking for one and ask them to ask their friends and family if they may have one they want to get rid of.

Finally, put up a request on bulletin boards at the grocery store, laundry matt, church, etc......

I bet if an elderly person thats had one lying around for years hears you are desperately looking for one and what an avid cook you are will be thrilled to pass it along to you.

Good Luck!

P.S. I love my Griswold!

I don't know where I read this. It may have been here in another thread or elsewhere.

At some point in it's history, Wagner moved manufacturing out of their original location (somewhere in the Mid-West) to China (?). The quality dropped with the move. The markings on the pots and pans are different based on where they were made. Experts use these markings to ID the good stuff.

In the past 50-60 years both companies have changed hands to the point they were/are(?) owned by the same company. Both produced by Wagner after about 1957....Last owner I knew was General Housewares....they closed the foundry in 1999...Anything after that may well be imported....If buying Griswold shoot for pre 1957 production at the Erie Pa. foundry....

Have Fun!

Back
Top Bottom