Half size bundt pans. Do they work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone have any experience with half size (6 cup) bundt pans? Do they work? Does stuff release from them ok?

Thanks in advance for responses.

+1

Yes they do work. But you have to make sure you prepare them really well. I buy the disposal ones when I am baking for the Church Fair. I make sure the food is loose before I wrap them for transport. They just fall out of the pan for me.

I have a recipe called Cake Release. It was given to me by a professional baker. I smear that stuff in the pan. It looks disgusting but it works. I can post it if you want it. Only three ingredients. Oh heck I will post it now.

Cake Release
1 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup all purpose flour

Mix in a small container and spread with a pastry brush (silicone) to coat pans prior to adding batter (you'd be surprised how many students ask me that in class! :)
It works GREAT and is cheaper than spray. Store in a container (with a lid) in your cupboard just like you would shortening.

This is exactly how she sent it to me. Her words. Not mine.

Addie said:
+1

Yes they do work. But you have to make sure you prepare them really well. I buy the disposal ones when I am baking for the Church Fair. I make sure the food is loose before I wrap them for transport. They just fall out of the pan for me.

I have a recipe called Cake Release. It was given to me by a professional baker. I smear that stuff in the pan. It looks disgusting but it works. I can post it if you want it. Only three ingredients. Oh heck I will post it now.

Cake Release
1/4 cup oil

Mix in a small container and spread with a pastry brush (silicone) to coat pans prior to adding batter (you'd be surprised how many students ask me that in class! :)
It works GREAT and is cheaper than spray. Store in a container (with a lid) in your cupboard just like you would shortening.

AKA Baker's Grease :) also works great for sweet breads.

Addie said:
+1

Cake Release
1/4 cup oil

Ooh... thanks for that tip. I'll throw some cake release together tomorrow.

1 1/4 C shortening seems like a lot compared to the other recipes that I have seen. Most of them have equal parts of veg. shortening, oil, and flour.

I'm currently trying oil and flour, equal parts, since I didn't have any shortening. It's in the oven now. I will tell you guys if I get that satisfying PLOP at the end of my bake.

Thanks again for all of the input.

bundt cake report

The cakes turned out perfectly with the oil, flour only release agent. I was worried that they would stick or that the cake would be greasy. I got the PLOP and they were not greasy. I cooled for 10 minutes and then inverted them onto a plate. The pans were still hot, but cool enough to handle with bare hands.

I made 1/4C + 1/4C for a total of 1/2 C of release. It was way too much for my two 6 C bundt cakes. Next time, I think I will try 1/8C oil, 1/8C flour or even 3 Tbs of each.

The pans that I used were: Nordic Ware Platinum Collection Cast Aluminum Bundt Pan, 6 Cup from Amazon. I was going to go with the cheaper pan (Nordic Pro Form Bundt pan), but decided on the Cast Aluminum ones after reading the customer reviews on Amazon.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I knew that I could count on the DC community for accurate and sincere information.

Yes, I used a regular full recipe, and divided the batter between the two 6 cup pans. The batter rose to just at the top of the pans. I think that using half a recipe in just one pan will also work, but I haven't tried that yet.

There may be problems with using half a recipe, like having an odd number of eggs in the full recipe.

Last edited:
...There may be problems with using half a recipe, like having an odd number of eggs in the full recipe.

When you need half an egg, break an egg into a dish and beat it with a fork or whisk, then measure out about half. A great deal of precision is not necessary

Back
Top Bottom