"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Flour Child

Handles That Don't Get Hot

I can't find where this has been discussed although I'm sure it has. I'm sorry but I'm meeting my mother for lunch/shopping in two hours and need your advice asap as she wants to buy a small 8" omelette pan where the handles don't get hot. Her stove is electric with a smooth glass stovetop.
...oh, and did I mention she's cheap? Well, not like that. She's thrifty I should say. It should be rather inexpensive but not poor quality.

Thank you! I Love you guys!

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Flour Child

Oh shoot...I forgot to mention
that she doesn't want teflon!

Thank you

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Farberware or Cuisinart classic.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Flour Child

Thank you justplainbill
(you're not just plain to us DCers)!
I've made a mental note.
And thank you for being so asap about it.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I can't find where this has been discussed although I'm sure it has. I'm sorry but I'm meeting my mother for lunch/shopping in two hours and need your advice asap as she wants to buy a small 8" omelette pan where the handles don't get hot. Her stove is electric with a smooth glass stovetop.
...oh, and did I mention she's cheap? Well, not like that. She's thrifty I should say. It should be rather inexpensive but not poor quality.

Thank you! I Love you guys!

One problem I've had lately is that the handle bracket is so heavy that the frying pan won't lay tightly flat against a burner. This results in uneven cooking. Check it out on a level surface before buying. Hope you have a fun day with Mom.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Flour Child

Oh, thank you Zhizara...I never thought of that. Will do!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Oh, thank you Zhizara...I never thought of that. Will do!
I've had several as part of sets too. You're welcome. I'm glad to save somebody all that trouble.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Flour Child

Well, Mother and I had a delicious salad for lunch...Moroccan-spiced chicken breast with crisp Romaine lettuce, roasted butternut squash, Medjool dates, fresh avocado, fresh beets, chopped egg, carrots, dried cranberries and red bell peppers. Tossed with champagne vinaigrette and toasted almonds at the California Pizza Kitchen.

Then we shopped for the perfect 8" stainless steel omelette pan. We hit
Macy's, William-Sonoma, Homegoods, and Target...looked for the brands mentioned here and gave it the balance test on flat a surface.

The rather snobby saleslady at William Sonoma insisted the ONLY appropriate pan for an omelette has a non-stick coating (was incensed that we called it "teflon" and corrected us promptly). Mother had only tunnel-vision for stainless but the saleslady was insistent...so no purchase there (just as well since prices were too high).

Macy's and Target didn't have a good selection for single stainless steel pieces (teflon was abundant). You either had to order online or buy sets for the most part. Mother wanted it "now" and only the one piece.

We lucked out finding one lone Tri-Ply Calphalon at Homegoods for $19.99. And we found the perfect stainless steel spatula at Target. Mother didn't want a long handle nor too stiff. Floppy rubber spatulas shred on the edge when heated. Ever notice that? I've been known to sand my down.

Phew. Done.
Well, she is keeping the receipt just in case she changes her mind

Mother is great...really, she is. A bit stubborn but ya gotta' luv her

Old 01-31-2011, 05:14 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Not a bad price, but if it passes the balance test, I'm sure she will be happy with it.

It sounds like you had a good day with Mom. Kind of exhausting, I'm sure, but sometimes you just need a good dose of Mom. Enjoy her while you can.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...Floppy rubber spatulas shred on the edge when heated. Ever notice that? I've been known to sand my down...

The edges aren't shredding, they're melting in the hot pan. You should consider getting silicone spatulas that won't melt at skillet temperatures.