Hard anodized fry pan sticking now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayres

Assistant Cook
Just joined the forum, and had a question about a pan.

I have the Kirkland series hard anodized pans, all of them are fine except one. It was fine until about 4 months ago. I have had the set for about 6 years.

this one pan started getting a white chalky film on the inside surface. it would not wash out. We only wash by hand. Now, i have had a bad run of food sticking right in the middle of the pan.

I am worried that the pan has lost something important that makes it non stick.

Is the surface of the hard anodize pan a lifelong surface that can be restored? Or, is it possible to over heat the pan or cook off part of the non stick coating?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I'm sorry you're experiencing problems with your cookware, mayres. I'm not familiar with anodized cookware, so I can't offer an opinion or solution. However, there are plenty of knowledgeable members here who will be around to help. Just be patient. The answers will come.

Welcome to DC.

mayres said:
Is the surface of the hard anodize pan a lifelong surface that can be restored? Or, is it possible to over heat the pan or cook off part of the non stick coating?

If it is coated with a non-stick surface then yes, you can over heat it and ruin the surface.

I don't know what the warranty is on Kirkland cookware but you might check with the store where you purchased it for assistance if you didn't save that warranty card that came with it that tells you how to handle a problem like this.

If it is coated with a non-stick surface then yes, you can over heat it and ruin the surface.

I don't know what the warranty is on Kirkland cookware but you might check with the store where you purchased it for assistance if you didn't save that warranty card that came with it that tells you how to handle a problem like this.
Michael, I think I've ruined a non-stick griddle, too. Is there a way to "revive" the non-stick or even simply to remove it and use it without? It's heavy anodized aluminum with non-stick coating. It's Calphalon, which I know is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, but I'm pretty sure I overheated it (before I came to DC and learned better :)) so I know it wasn't a defect in manufacturing. Anyway, I have just assumed it's a total loss but when I saw your post, I thought I might check. TIA
Terry

Michael always gives great adivce.

Hard anodized cookware is made from aluminum which has had the outside metal anodized. The anodizing process helps protect agains both corrosion (yes, aluminum does corrode) and scratching. The inside of the cookware is usually coated with either a silverstone or teflon plastic coating that can be dammaged by excessive heat. Once it is dammaged, it can not be restored.

Follow Michael's advice and check you warranty. If you can not get the items replaced, I recomend replacement with cast-iron. When seasoned properly, it is as slippery as teflon, and can be repaired by simply reseasoning if need be. it's also much cheaper and will last a lifetime or two.

There are also some cookware that claims to use a combination of ceramic and titanium top provide a virtually indistructable non-stick cooking surface that can withstand any heat you might throw at it.

There are also claims made that nonstick made with diamond and teflon that are fused to the pan are nearly indestructable, but still require care to not overheat them. Now I do know that diamond is an excellent heat conductor, and is very hard. Don't know much about this cookware though.

Google search these items and look for performance reviews on them.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Fisher's Mom said:
Michael, I think I've ruined a non-stick griddle, too. Is there a way to "revive" the non-stick or even simply to remove it and use it without?

Terry - try to take it back and exchange it, if you can - swear to the clerk you only heated it to medium or med-high like the instructions said. Unfortunately, there is no way you can restore the non-stick surface coating.

There might be a way to rescue it to some degree .... is it just a griddle or is it a grill pan on one side and a griddle on the other?

a hard anodized pan has been treated inside and out, and can be scrathced and pitted by auto dishwashers, and made sticky by not cleaning thoroughly, but that's about it. oh and thermal shock (hotpan into cold water)

Most store brands, and many "chef" brands are non stick coated. Now we have a different issue, and yes the coating can wear out or be damaged.

You should contact Consumer Relations at Calphalon and see what they have to say before you try what I am about to suggest.

Now, if you have decided that you simply can't use it the way it is and you're ready to toss it out anyway and don't care if you ruin it ....

You might simply try sanding the nonstick surface off.

- or -

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS WITH NONSTICK COOKWARE - but I have used this method to remove baked on grease on cast iron and hard anodized aluminum. Since the nonstick material is ruined by high heat, and it all has a temp limit of 450-500F, I'm thinking this might work:

OPEN THE WINDOWS AND TURN ON THE FANS - YOU MUST KEEP THE PLACE WELL VENTILATED DURING THIS PROCESS. Place it on the center rack in your oven and run it through a "self-cleaning" cycle. If this works it should either cause the nonstick surface to flake off, or convert it to ash.

Once you've removed the nonstick material you can then season it like cast iron ... and over time it will develop the nonstick properties of well seasoned cast iron. Or, you can just use it as is.

If you try this - let me know how it turns out!

You should contact Consumer Relations at Calphalon and see what they have to say before you try what I am about to suggest.

Now, if you have decided that you simply can't use it the way it is and you're ready to toss it out anyway and don't care if you ruin it ....

You might simply try sanding the nonstick surface off.

- or -

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS WITH NONSTICK COOKWARE - but I have used this method to remove baked on grease on cast iron and hard anodized aluminum. Since the nonstick material is ruined by high heat, and it all has a temp limit of 450-500F, I'm thinking this might work:

OPEN THE WINDOWS AND TURN ON THE FANS - YOU MUST KEEP THE PLACE WELL VENTILATED DURING THIS PROCESS. Place it on the center rack in your oven and run it through a "self-cleaning" cycle. If this works it should either cause the nonstick surface to flake off, or convert it to ash.

Once you've removed the nonstick material you can then season it like cast iron ... and over time it will develop the nonstick properties of well seasoned cast iron. Or, you can just use it as is.

If you try this - let me know how it turns out!
That's kinda what I was thinking of doing but thought I'd get other thoughts, too. I was thinking about putting it in the grill outside and really crank it up. I did this to season some cast iron to avoid the smoke factor and it worked well. Don't have a self-cleaning cycle on the oven so I think I can get as much heat from the grill as the oven. I was thinking, as you theorized, that it might incinerated the bulk of the non-stick coating and then I could sand off any remaining bits. Thanks for letting me know that you can season aluminum. I didn't know if that would work but as is, I'm not using it anymore because EVERYTHING sticks to it. So I've got nothing to lose. I really couldn't in good conscience try to get Calphalon to replace it since I know I screwed it up with too high heat. I will probably try it this weekend and will let you know how I fare. Pics too, if I can.

Thanks again, guys. It's like having a huge number of relatives I can call up and ask for help! :)

Michael, wouldn't there be anodized alum under the non-stick coating? If so, that would eliminate the need to season.

Michael, wouldn't there be anodized alum under the non-stick coating? If so, that would eliminate the need to season.

That is exactly what I was thinking! Nice!

I’m wondering what is under the non-stick coating. Anodized aluminum is aluminum that has gone through an electrical/chemical treatment process. By submerging the aluminum in acetone and passing a current through it, the aluminum oxides (what is called rust for other metals). The oxidized layer is hard and non-porous, thus it can’t be seasoned.

However, this oxide layer is only so thick, and it can be scratched off. Below the oxide layer is regular aluminum. The question then becomes, what kind of aluminum? Is it sheet or cast? If it is sheet aluminum, then it is non-porous and can’t be seasoned. If it is cast aluminum. Then it IS porous and you can season it.

I’m wondering if they (Calphalon) oxidized the whole pan first, and then applied the non-stick coating.....or did they apply the non-stick coating and then oxidize the remaining surfaces? If it is the latter, then there is untreated aluminum under the non-stick coating.

Also, I’m wondering what is wrong with the current non-stick coating? She says it’s sticking. Has the non-stick layer peeled away in the area where it sticks, or has it become stained there? In some cases, a PTFE surface (non-0stick surface) can develop stains that stick, but those stains can be removed by boiling a mixture of water and bleach in the cookware. I’d be interested to no more about the damage we’re talking about here.

Last edited:
Also, I’m wondering what is wrong with the current non-stick coating? She says it’s sticking. Has the non-stick layer peeled away in the area where it sticks, or has it become stained there? In some cases, a PTFE surface (non-0stick surface) can develop stains that stick, but those stains can be removed by boiling a mixture of water and bleach in the cookware. I’d be interested to no more about the damage we’re talking about here.
Nope, the coating hasn't peeled away but as per your suggestion, I'm boiling clorox & water as we speak. Thanks, Keltin.

Nope, the coating hasn't peeled away but as per your suggestion, I'm boiling clorox & water as we speak. Thanks, Keltin.

You may also have to scrub a bit (with a soft cloth rag)....but if the coating has "dried up", then this won't help. Still, it's worth a shot. If this doesn't work, trying seasoning that spot to see what happens. Before a first use, T-FAL recommends seasoning all of their non-stick cookware for some reason!

Rub some oil on the spot, heat it up till the oil shimmers, remove from heat and rub the oil in with a rag (don’t burn yourself!). Apply more oil as need to make it look wet and shiny. Let it sit, and if the coating has "dried up” maybe this will “moisturize” it? Can’t say either way....but T-FAL does suggest seasoning their non-stick surfaces, so who knows.

Hi Everyone!

Nonstick coating begins to outgas at high temperatures. Who know what that does to people, but it can kill pet birds. Plus, there's the coating that might be getting into your food. So, just as habit, I never use nonstick cookware over anything higher than a low to medium low flame. And, I never buy high-end nonstick cookware since the coating isn't all that durable and often doesn't last that long. I buy my nonstick skillets from a restaurant supply store - they're pretty cheap and have this great slick nonsick coating that nothing sticks to - and I replace it as soon as it shows any sign of wear.

So, if the manufacturer won't replace your pan, you might want to check out a restaurant supply store to see what they have..

Good luck!

And, I never buy high-end nonstick cookware since the coating isn't all that durable and often doesn't last that long.
I find the opposite to be true. I have Calphalon non stick pans. They are about 5 or 6 years old and have been used often. The coating is still almost as non tick as the day I got them. One of them ever has a large deep scratch that had been there almost as long as I have had the pan. The coating has never chipped off from the scratch and food does not stick to it. These pans are much heavier than the inexpensive kinds you can get so hot spots and uneven cooking is not as much of an issue.

It is like there is burned on, to the point of fused on, stains, Keltin. I was laughing as I read "you might have to scrub a bit". As bad as I am at cooking, I'm a scrubber. Cleaning, reviving, restoring - that's my forte. But I can't get this stuff all the way off. And it's hard to see it because the non-stick is black, too. (I tried to get a pic for you but couldn't get one detailed enough to show it.)

I haven't pulled out the big guns yet, only nylon type scrubbers and barkeepers friend and now the boiling clorox water, because I know tougher stuff runs the risk of damaging the non-stick. But since it's NOT non-stick anymore, I'm going to go for it. I'll let you guys know if I hit on the right combination of things to fix it. And thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

It's funny, I don't even use non-stick anymore. My first foray into better cookware was a few pieces of Calphalon non-stick, including this griddle. Then I read a review of Calphalon SS tri-ply so I bought 1 sauce pan on sale and became a convert. For me, it's easier to see what the food is doing and somehow I don't burn stuff as badly and foods never burn on. Now I have all SS cookware but my 15 y.o. son only likes to cook with the non-stick and it works wonderfully for him. So the 4 pieces of non-stick are his. Unfortunately, I had screwed up this griddle before they all became his territory, which he reminds me of on a regular basis.

Where to start ....

MaryE: Yes, overheating nonstick cookware can emit vapors that are lethal to birds and can sometimes cause flu like symptoms in some humans - ever hear of "Teflon Flu"? Did you notice that I emphasized the need for good ventilation??? Oh, and don't worry if you eat some nonstick coating - your body can not break it down or digest anything from it ... it will just pass right on through.

Andy M: No - aluminum doesn't have to be "seasoned". However, when seasoned like cast iron it develops the nonstick characteristics of cast iron.

Keltin and Andy M: I would guess that the surface under the nonstick coating is anodized. I had a summer job back in 1964/5 when I was in high school working for Southern Anodizing and this is the process we used:

The raw aluminum parts first went into a hot degreaser tank (don't remember the exact temp but it was hot enough the solution vaporized - but due to it's density it didn't rise up above the top of the tank). After that there was a dip in a hot rinse tank, then into the sulphuric acid tank where the anodizing took place - a tank where a DC (direct) electrical current went through it - a grid on the bottom of the tank was hooked to the cathode (negative) and the aluminum parts connected to the anode (positive) charge. Then it went in a neutralizer solution and wash - then into a dye tank, and into another rinse tank. Some parts then went to another area where the interior was coated with nylon or Teflon.

I saw an episode on "How It's Made" that looked like Calphalon was following the same process.

Now some other random thoughts:

1) Nonstick coatings are polymers. Oil/fat, when heated (like in seasoning a cast iron skillet) polymerizes ... and becomes a fused polymer layer - thus it's nonstick like properties. Hummm ... a non-toxic renewable nonstick surface!

2) It may not be possible to remove/seperate something that gets fused to a nonstick surface because of overheating because they may have become chemically bonded to one another. Ever put some leftover tomato sauce (containing oil/fat of some sort) on a plastic container and it stained it ... and nothing you tried would remove either the color or the greasy feeling? That's not a problem with some plastics, like polycarbonate, but some are chemical first-cousins of oil and when put together they bond to each other - even without heat.

3) A seasoned cast iron skillet can handle temps in the 600+-F range without damage although they may smoke like crazy (I'm thinking about my experience making blackened redfish) - nonstick surfaces can only handle about 450-500 F, and not direct high heat like under a broiler. That's why I thought a run through a self-cleaning cycle might work (about 900-F) wjich will turn the oil/fat seasoning on cast iron to ash.

SHAZAM! A THOUGHT!!!!!

IF the material is not chemically fused to the surface - maybe what I use to remove burned on grease from the bottom of my hard anodized skillets will work ... Murphy's Oil Soap and a green scrubby - this stuff can remove the varnish from cabinets, especially if you don't dilute it! Don't know why I didn't think about this before ... maybe it was too obvious or too simple of a possible solution???

Back
Top Bottom