Hard anodized wok: 'Non-stick' does that mean I can't use a metal spoon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cycle Maniac

Assistant Cook
Hello people,

I've bought this GSI Hard Anodized Extreme Non-Stick Wok Set. Made from aluminum; it's light weight, and that's why it's ideal for my cycle touring.

But I want to get this clear: 'Non-stick' does that mean I can't use an metal spoon to mix the the vegetables?
If that's true I've to look for a plastic spoon. Yes, that would be a little dissapointment. But as this is the only good light weight stir fry; Well, lets deal with it.

Allready thanks for the answers.

Greetz from the Netherlands, and happy cooking, :chef:

Marco

Look for silicone utensils, which can take higher temps than plastic/rubber.
You must be doing some distance cycling if you have
to take cooking equipment with you.
Where have your journeys been?

Thanks for the answers. Good to know.
At the camping shop today I saw a 'mini spatula', made by GSI. So I guess It's a good one. I guess that's the one I need.

@quicksilver: Well, I'm just starting with cycle touring. A few years ago I cycled from Alkmaar (Holland, west-coast) to Groningen (east of Holland). That's plus minus 480 km including going home.
Past year I cycled for a week around the IJsselmeer (a big lake in the middle of Holland). And that was 840 km. And this summer I'm planning a route in the north of Germany.

Let's enjoy that. ;)

Happy cookings, Marco

Nonstick and wok are two words that usually don't go well togather.

Wok cooking requires extreme high heat that would probably destroy the nonstick surface.

Now if you're using it for it for stir-fry that's probably OK.

Silicon or bamboo utensils are the best, and still lightweight as well. No sense buying a lightweight wok only to get burdened down with heavy utensils.
On the mini spatula, make sure it is still long enough to keep you from burning yourself on the sides of the wok when cooking.

Ron W is right. Woks are used for high heat cooking that sears the outside of foods keeping the centers crisp. High heat used on "non-stick" is not only bad for the pan it can be toxic to humans if cooked above med high heat. If you have any birds as pets, they are very sensitive to non-stick cookware and will kill them if close by even before you will notice anything. Becareful with non-stick pans that have scratches or worn spots in them. Generally the Asians use all bamboo utencils with their cooking. It lasts a very long time and it easier to use.

I do not agree that non stick and wok do not go together. There are many things that a wok can be used for other than traditional wok cooking.

I have a non stick wok and find it a great tool. I make chicken broccoli ziti in mine. It is not a traditional use for the wok. The heat does not get past med-high. I would not be able to make this in a frying pan unless I did it in many multiple matches and that would be inconvenient to the point that I would not do it. You can also use it for soups and things of that nature. When camping, non stick is beneficial as it is easier to clean. I think a non stick light weight wok for camping is a great idea.

Yea, I don't think a non stick wok is going to be a problem for him since he will be camping. Unless he plans on building large really hot fires and putting the wok in the middle of it for long periods of time.
I had a non stick wok for many years, used it so much I plumb wore it out. Never used it for high heat as I didn't need to for the recipes I had and used. Not all stir fry and Asian recipes call for a wok sitting over high heat.

I second the bamboo or wooden utensils. Even though my wok isn't non-stick, I use bamboo because I hate the sound of the metal utensils scraping on the wok and there's so much scraping in stir-fry.

High heat used on "non-stick" is not only bad for the pan it can be toxic to humans if cooked above med high heat. If you have any birds as pets, they are very sensitive to non-stick cookware and will kill them if close by even before you will notice anything.

Teflon will outgass around 600 degrees and mild flue like symptoms have been reported.
Your cooking oil, lard or shortning will have reached it's smoke point between 350-425 degrees and the smoke produced will have killed your birds long before you reach the teflon's ourgassing temperature.

Not to mention you now need to wash the curtains and every other exposed fabric in the house... did I just give myself away as having some experience with burning oil??:LOL:

I like bamboo because of how smooth it feels when stirring. If you are stirring anything really hot with metal and it hangs up it could splash causing burns to the skin. I mainly use bamboo for everything. The Asians have been using it for thousands of years so it must be good.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Today I bought this 'GSI: Nylon 3 px Ring set'.
Made by GSI themselves. So I guess it's good.

img_642604_0_f7568756b490160f9ed9219b69df850b.jpg

Altrec dot com says:

A lightweight, durable chef’s tool, the GSI Outdoors Nylon 3 pc. Ring Set is fashioned in a super compact shape. This set that includes a 10" Spatula, 10.5" Spoon, 11.5" Ladle, and Plastic Ring is ideal for destination camping
  • Material: Nylon 66
  • Lightweight, durable, nylon chef’s tools
  • Compact shape
  • 10" Spatula, 10.5" Spoon, 11.5" Ladle, Plastic Ring
  • Ideal for: Destination Camping
  • Dimension:11.75" x 3.63" x 3"
  • Weight: 5.6 oz

Happy cookings,

Marco

Hello people,

Although I allready bought the 'GSI: Nylon 3 px Ring set'. Afterwards I have some doubt's: Are those 'GSI: Nylon 3 px Ring set' untensils compatible with my Hard Anodized Extreme Non-Stick Wok Set? Are thos untensils able to stand the wok heat?

I'm asking myself, because I read about some type of 'nylon', not about silicone.
What's your opinion?

Happy cookings,

Marco :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom