"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by dyscjocki View Post
High heat used on "non-stick" is not only bad for the pan it can be toxic to humans if cooked above med high heat. If you have any birds as pets, they are very sensitive to non-stick cookware and will kill them if close by even before you will notice anything.

Teflon will outgass around 600 degrees and mild flue like symptoms have been reported.
Your cooking oil, lard or shortning will have reached it's smoke point between 350-425 degrees and the smoke produced will have killed your birds long before you reach the teflon's ourgassing temperature.

Ron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
Master Chef
Not to mention you now need to wash the curtains and every other exposed fabric in the house... did I just give myself away as having some experience with burning oil??

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
I like bamboo because of how smooth it feels when stirring. If you are stirring anything really hot with metal and it hangs up it could splash causing burns to the skin. I mainly use bamboo for everything. The Asians have been using it for thousands of years so it must be good.
dyscjocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Thanks for the answers everyone.

Today I bought this 'GSI: Nylon 3 px Ring set'.
Made by GSI themselves. So I guess it's good.

Altrec dot com says:

A lightweight, durable chef’s tool, the GSI Outdoors Nylon 3 pc. Ring Set is fashioned in a super compact shape. This set that includes a 10" Spatula, 10.5" Spoon, 11.5" Ladle, and Plastic Ring is ideal for destination camping
  • Material: Nylon 66
  • Lightweight, durable, nylon chef’s tools
  • Compact shape
  • 10" Spatula, 10.5" Spoon, 11.5" Ladle, Plastic Ring
  • Ideal for: Destination Camping
  • Dimension:11.75" x 3.63" x 3"
  • Weight: 5.6 oz
Happy cookings,

Cycle Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
Hello people,

Although I allready bought the 'GSI: Nylon 3 px Ring set'. Afterwards I have some doubt's: Are those 'GSI: Nylon 3 px Ring set' untensils compatible with my Hard Anodized Extreme Non-Stick Wok Set? Are thos untensils able to stand the wok heat?

I'm asking myself, because I read about some type of 'nylon', not about silicone.
What's your opinion?

Happy cookings,

Cycle Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote