"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 07-05-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Hard anodized wok: 'Non-stick' does that mean I can't use a metal spoon?

Hello people,

I've bought this GSI Hard Anodized Extreme Non-Stick Wok Set. Made from aluminum; it's light weight, and that's why it's ideal for my cycle touring.

But I want to get this clear: 'Non-stick' does that mean I can't use an metal spoon to mix the the vegetables?
If that's true I've to look for a plastic spoon. Yes, that would be a little dissapointment. But as this is the only good light weight stir fry; Well, lets deal with it.

Allready thanks for the answers.

Greetz from the Netherlands, and happy cooking,

Cycle Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Look for silicone utensils, which can take higher temps than plastic/rubber.
You must be doing some distance cycling if you have
to take cooking equipment with you.
Where have your journeys been?

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Head Chef
I took a look at your wok, or one similar here:
GSI Hard Anodized Extreme Non-Stick Wok Set w/Lid reviews and information - Trailspace.com

I would also suggest silicone utensils, or wood utensils. Bamboo utensils hold up even better and you can use them for a tent stake if all else fails. Will you be cycling through Wisconsin anytime soon? If so, you can camp in my back yard.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
Thanks for the answers. Good to know.
At the camping shop today I saw a 'mini spatula', made by GSI. So I guess It's a good one. I guess that's the one I need.

@quicksilver: Well, I'm just starting with cycle touring. A few years ago I cycled from Alkmaar (Holland, west-coast) to Groningen (east of Holland). That's plus minus 480 km including going home.
Past year I cycled for a week around the IJsselmeer (a big lake in the middle of Holland). And that was 840 km. And this summer I'm planning a route in the north of Germany.

Let's enjoy that.

Happy cookings, Marco
Cycle Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Nonstick and wok are two words that usually don't go well togather.

Wok cooking requires extreme high heat that would probably destroy the nonstick surface.

Now if you're using it for it for stir-fry that's probably OK.
Ron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Master Chef
Silicon or bamboo utensils are the best, and still lightweight as well. No sense buying a lightweight wok only to get burdened down with heavy utensils.
On the mini spatula, make sure it is still long enough to keep you from burning yourself on the sides of the wok when cooking.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
Ron W is right. Woks are used for high heat cooking that sears the outside of foods keeping the centers crisp. High heat used on "non-stick" is not only bad for the pan it can be toxic to humans if cooked above med high heat. If you have any birds as pets, they are very sensitive to non-stick cookware and will kill them if close by even before you will notice anything. Becareful with non-stick pans that have scratches or worn spots in them. Generally the Asians use all bamboo utencils with their cooking. It lasts a very long time and it easier to use.
dyscjocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer
I do not agree that non stick and wok do not go together. There are many things that a wok can be used for other than traditional wok cooking.

I have a non stick wok and find it a great tool. I make chicken broccoli ziti in mine. It is not a traditional use for the wok. The heat does not get past med-high. I would not be able to make this in a frying pan unless I did it in many multiple matches and that would be inconvenient to the point that I would not do it. You can also use it for soups and things of that nature. When camping, non stick is beneficial as it is easier to clean. I think a non stick light weight wok for camping is a great idea.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Master Chef
Yea, I don't think a non stick wok is going to be a problem for him since he will be camping. Unless he plans on building large really hot fires and putting the wok in the middle of it for long periods of time.
I had a non stick wok for many years, used it so much I plumb wore it out. Never used it for high heat as I didn't need to for the recipes I had and used. Not all stir fry and Asian recipes call for a wok sitting over high heat.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
Executive Chef
I second the bamboo or wooden utensils. Even though my wok isn't non-stick, I use bamboo because I hate the sound of the metal utensils scraping on the wok and there's so much scraping in stir-fry.

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote