"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Cook

Hardwater stains in Ceramic bowl

I have hardwater stains on a ceramic(?) bowl and cannot get it clean. I'm not sure if the bowl is actually ceramic or not. It's 30+ y/o and there's no information on the bowl at all. I think it's more like those old square CorningWare "bowls." It might be some type of knockoff.

I could probably get the hardwater stains out with an SOS pad, but I didn't think they were supposed to be used on this kind of surface.

It's probably worth noting that I use the bowl as a cat water bowl and have a bad habit of forgetting to change the water everyday. I do change the water in the other bowls, I just forget this one all the time because it's in a room I rarely use. I guess the sitting water causes the stains because I don't get stains in the other bowls which are exactly the same.

Any suggestions on how to get the stains out?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Try one of the calcium, lime rust removers (such as CLR). Try bleach in the water. If that doesn't work, keep in mind it's a cat's water bowl and the cat doesn't care.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Honey Badger

fill it up to the water line with a vinegar/water solution. Let it sit scrubbing on occasion overnight.
Pumice stone might work as well.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Here are a couple things to try.

Fill the bowl with screaming hot water. Add liquid dishwasher soap. Let it set overnight. It works for getting a coffee urn, that was black inside, sparkling clean, might work on this too.

Another option would be baking soda. You can put some on a damp sponge, rag or whatever and scrub the bowl with that.

I would advise NOT using anything abrasive as it will damage the surface of the bowl. Then you will have further problems as all things will want to grow and stain those areas.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
I have hardwater stains on a ceramic(?) bowl and cannot get it clean. I'm not sure if the bowl is actually ceramic or not. It's 30+ y/o and there's no information on the bowl at all. I think it's more like those old square CorningWare "bowls." It might be some type of knockoff.

I could probably get the hardwater stains out with an SOS pad, but I didn't think they were supposed to be used on this kind of surface.

It's probably worth noting that I use the bowl as a cat water bowl and have a bad habit of forgetting to change the water everyday. I do change the water in the other bowls, I just forget this one all the time because it's in a room I rarely use. I guess the sitting water causes the stains because I don't get stains in the other bowls which are exactly the same.

Any suggestions on how to get the stains out?
Can you get those tablets that people soak their false teeth in? They are good at removing very stubborn tea stains when all else fails. Or what about those gel cleaners that that you squirt into the loo to remove lime scale? (Wash well after soaking)
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Try one of the calcium, lime rust removers (such as CLR). Try bleach in the water. If that doesn't work, keep in mind it's a cat's water bowl and the cat doesn't care.
CLR is a miracle worker, like BKF
Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

I live in a hard water area and my cat's ceramic drinking bowl gets a build up of lime-scale too.

I just pour the cheapest (neat) vinegar I can find into it and leave it for a few hours. It never fails, and the bowl comes out sparkling.

(The last bottle of super-cheap vinegar I bought was just 99p and I only used about a quarter of it to clean the bowl).
Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I live in a hard water area and my cat's ceramic drinking bowl gets a build up of lime-scale too.

I just pour the cheapest (neat) vinegar I can find into it and leave it for a few hours. It never fails, and the bowl comes out sparkling.

(The last bottle of super-cheap vinegar I bought was just 99p and I only used about a quarter of it to clean the bowl).
+1
I only buy white vinegar for cleaning.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Sous Chef

fill it with water and toss a couple denture cleaning tablets in. let it sit overnight.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
fill it with water and toss a couple denture cleaning tablets in. let it sit overnight.
Let it sit where the cat won't get at it. I think denture cleaning tablets have a "minty" flavour and cat like mint.

Tags
water