"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
Head Chef

Looks like SS to me. If it were me, I would play around with it for a while. You might find you like it, or that you want another size, etc. I have found that if I have a question in a chinese market, the owner will try to help There is usually someone around that speaks english.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Flat-bottomed woks are made to use on electric stovetops, where contact is required for proper heat conductivity. Round with a ring on gas. Carbon steel is best. Wok cooking wants high temperatures for fast cooking. Peanut oil is tops for a high smoke/burn temp.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

There are actually many Asian cooks who do not believe that the flat bottom is better than round bottom even if you are using electric or a US style stove.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Many non-Asian, too. I am one of them.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Many non-Asian, too. I am one of them.
I am confused gadzooks. You just said

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks
Flat-bottomed woks are made to use on electric stovetops, where contact is required for proper heat conductivity. Round with a ring on gas.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #16
Sous Chef

No need for confusion. I have a round-bottomed wok. I use a metal ring to elevate it over the gas burner. I would use my gas camping stove before I would use a wok on an electric stove. Wok cooking wants a very high, widely diffused, soft heat. Can't get that with electric. I wouldn't even try. I was only mentioning why flat-bottomed woks are used.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I am still confused though gadzooks. In your first post you seems to be advocating using a flat bottom wok for electric burners. I then posted that many Asian cooks say that round bottom woks work just as well on electric. You then posted something in which you essentially agree with that (which contradicts your first statement) and then when I said I was confused you went back to your original statement. Either I am not understanding what you are saying or you did not understand what I was saying.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I wasn't advocating using a flat-bottomed wok or an electric cooktop. Just mentioning why the two different configurations. I prefer gas, as I have difficulty with the nuance of electric range cooking. Even with the higher-end solid iron induction burners. And I like the round wok. Seems a more pleasant shape for rapid stirring, which I do, I think because I like to cook really hot.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

I bought a new 14" carbon steel wok yesterday. I seasoned it until the whole of the inside developed a black patina. However after I made my first dish I was concerned that some of the patina had come off in patches mostly around the base. The recipe involves bringing a sauce to the boil in the end. Is this the reason? I then reseasoned it before putting away. Should I just reseason it to restore the patina? I'm guessing I should use the stainless steel wok for things that require boiling.

When oiling a wok for storage should I oil the outside or just the inside?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Seasoning is an ongoing process. It will get better and better the more you use the pan with fat. You do not have to worry about boiling water in it though. Water and fat don't mix so the water will not affect the seasoning. Just keep using your wok and it will get better and better with time.

I would lightly oil both the inside and outside before putting it away. Oil any metal surface, but go very light.