"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

You should read this link.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to LYuan Send a message via MSN to LYuan
Yeah, I saw that - It worries me slightly as a pan that cost that much SHOULD last a **** of a lot longer than that - I've been doing some searching around different forums, and still haven't really gotten to the bottom of the PTFE issue though - For me, the warranty thing is a secondary issue that I will probably be looking into separately.

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the PTFE issue - Somehow I get the feeling that I'm getting incorrect stories from retailers, as I hear this a LOT:

"All non-stick coating contains PTFE"

Either way, I'm going to do some more calling around to different manufacturers, and maybe I can get a clearer picture. Will post back:

L.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Why don't you just move on. Cookware with that many questions is probably not worth the trouble.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Why don't you just move on. Cookware with that many questions is probably not worth the trouble.
I think I probably will move on, but the whole topic in general has slightly peaked my interest - Plus, I'm sure that as PTFE based products are phased off of store shelves over the next few years, there will definately be a huge influx of people who will be looking for an alternative.

Cheers,

L.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't agree that teflon will disappear. It's too convenient and it sells too many pots and pans to be taken off. Besides, with just a little caution, it's perfectly safe to use.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't agree that teflon will disappear. It's too convenient and it sells too many pots and pans to be taken off. Besides, with just a little caution, it's perfectly safe to use.
Well, they might have to find an alternative and safe way to use it, as the US Goverment is asking all the large cookware manufacturers to reduce the amount of PFOA they use by 95% by 2010, and completely eliminate it in their products by 2015. I'll defintatley be onto other pots and pans by then though ;)

L.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookNow
I say go with cast iron. The only hazard is if it falls on you.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookNow View Post
I say go with cast iron. The only hazard is if it falls on you.
The other danger is if you really tick off your wife and she uses one to knock some sense back into you!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

I have the big round wok shaped Anolon universal pan or whatever they call it now that is non stick. It has seen fairly heavy use, every other day or so for 5 years now. It is starting to show that it has had too high heat applied a few times and it is getting scarred from plastic and wood stirring implements. It has lasted longer than any other non stick I have had since I finally learned to not abuse them with high heat.

I am switching to stainless and cast iron because I don't fancy paying good $$ for something that I know will become useless just by using it eventually.

I have kept some non stick sauce pans that don't get used as often nor do they get subjected to the occasional high heat no food trauma. Unless my cousin comes to help. She thinks that "10" is the only mark on the dial that works.

Now a Teflon (or other trade name) nonstick pan shuddered in fear when my Grandfather was shopping for them. His pan life span was less than a year.