Hello Everyone! Cookware question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LYuan

Assistant Cook
Hey Guys,

I'm SO excited that I found this place - I just started getting into cooking as a past-time as opposed to a means of survival and as such I am in the process of picking up some nice kitchen equipment.

Recently, I picked up a nice set of Henckels Twin Quisine knives and am now in the midst of replacing all my pots and pans (which are teflon based), and was shopping around for a new set.

Originally, I had my eyes set on an anodized allum + copper cladding set, but it seems quite expensive and high-maintenance. I also love how easy it is to clean my teflon set. I understand that there are safety issues which are associated with teflon and cooking at high temperatures as well as similar issues as the pans 'wear n' tear' over time.

Anyhow, my question is regarding an alternative that I saw at a trade show. There were a few booths that were showing cast alluminum cookware coated with titanium. They are quite expensive and seem very durable, but upon first glance look remarkably similar to my older teflon coated cookware. These titanium coated sets attracted me particularly because they exhibited the same non-stick properties (if not better) as teflon. What I am wondering is; do these titanium products contain any of the health threatening chemicals that are found in teflon based products namely:
  • PFTE
  • PFOA
I would drop the money for this product because of it's non-stick performance, but I don't want to sacrifice the health of myself and the people that I am cooking for.

If anyone has any insight or information, I would be very thankful.

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to share and learn lots about the culinary arts in this forum!!!!

Cheers,

L.

In all honesty I walked away from all that stuff along time ago. These days I stick to stainless steel/copper bottom, iron, enamel, glassware, and some metal baking ware.
That being said, I have heard alot of good things about the new titanium cookware out there. At the same time, that is also what they said about teflon in the beginning ;)
In the end, the only thing that matters is what you are comfortable with, and what you like to cook with as those are the things that will produce the best results for you.

The reviews I have read show most users feel they handle high heat well, function just as well as teflon if not better, and stand up to much more abuse. As with teflon, if the lining starts to degrade and flake or peel its time to toss it and get another.

Hi, LYuan. Welcome to DC.

PTFE and PFOA are specific to the manufacture of teflon type non-stick coatings. If this titanium cookware is nonstick, they could very well have been made with or contain the same compounds.

Consider using metal pans without non-stick coatings for greater versatility and fewer worries.

Check out some of the earlier posts in the cookware section for loads of info on the subject.

It could also be titanium nitride coated. TiN is used on cutting tools and other sliding surfaces to increase surface hardness and decrease friction. I doubt it will ever replace Teflon as a truly non-stick surface.

Hey guys and girls,

Thanks a bunch for the speedy replies and the warm welcome!!! What I am going to do is pick a up a small pan and give it a shot, and report back in a few days. I've also sent the importers an e-mail regarding the contents of the coating to see if I can get some more precise answers from them.

Edit: The brand of the cookware is 'Haudguss' and it's made in Germany

See to in the forums!!

L.

Last edited:
Hi, LYuan. Welcome to DC.

PTFE and PFOA are specific to the manufacture of teflon type non-stick coatings. If this titanium cookware is nonstick, they could very well have been made with or contain the same compounds.

Consider using metal pans without non-stick coatings for greater versatility and fewer worries.

Check out some of the earlier posts in the cookware section for loads of info on the subject.

Hey Andy - PTFE is actually the generic term for 'Teflon', which is made by dupont. It stands for Polytetrafluoroethylene, and not manufacturer specific. PFOA is also a generic term and is an acronym for Perfluorooctanoic Acid. This chemical and it's corrisponding C8 acid is actually not in Teflon, but is used in creating Teflon.

Thanks,

L.

Yes, which is why I said "...specific to the manufacture of teflon...".

Sorry, I think I was confused by how you worded it - I usually describe Teflon as 'specific' to its manufacturer Dupont, and it's generic counterpart, PTFE, as 'non-specific' to any manufacturer as it is just a molecule. Anyhow, I'm sure we're probably saying the exact same thing.

ANYHOW, I did end up calling the supplier (Titanium Exclusive Cookware Inc.) to inquire about the contents of their 'Titanium' coating. I first asked of it contained any Teflon, and they immediately said that there was absolutely no Teflon in their product whatsoever. Being still somewhat skeptical, I asked if it contained any PTFE or any PTFE-like components, and in turn possibly contain PFOA. Again, they said that there are no traces of any of these agents found in the product. Their pans were 100% titanium.

Could this be true? It sounds a bit TOO good: non-stick, healthy (as healthy as titanium is, I guess), and durable. The guy told me that you can use metal utensils while cooking, which is pretty awesome too...

What do you guys think?

L.

a couple German and Scandinavian companies have put out some cookware with a permanent ceramic glaze that is very stick resistant and "indestructible" ... so going with a hard slick metal like titanium makes some sense. But I have heard no reports.

Yeah, I saw that - It worries me slightly as a pan that cost that much SHOULD last a **** of a lot longer than that - I've been doing some searching around different forums, and still haven't really gotten to the bottom of the PTFE issue though - For me, the warranty thing is a secondary issue that I will probably be looking into separately.

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the PTFE issue - Somehow I get the feeling that I'm getting incorrect stories from retailers, as I hear this a LOT:

"All non-stick coating contains PTFE"

Either way, I'm going to do some more calling around to different manufacturers, and maybe I can get a clearer picture. Will post back:

L.

Why don't you just move on. Cookware with that many questions is probably not worth the trouble.

Why don't you just move on. Cookware with that many questions is probably not worth the trouble.

I think I probably will move on, but the whole topic in general has slightly peaked my interest - Plus, I'm sure that as PTFE based products are phased off of store shelves over the next few years, there will definately be a huge influx of people who will be looking for an alternative.

Cheers,

L.

I don't agree that teflon will disappear. It's too convenient and it sells too many pots and pans to be taken off. Besides, with just a little caution, it's perfectly safe to use.

I don't agree that teflon will disappear. It's too convenient and it sells too many pots and pans to be taken off. Besides, with just a little caution, it's perfectly safe to use.

Well, they might have to find an alternative and safe way to use it, as the US Goverment is asking all the large cookware manufacturers to reduce the amount of PFOA they use by 95% by 2010, and completely eliminate it in their products by 2015. I'll defintatley be onto other pots and pans by then though ;)

L.

I have the big round wok shaped Anolon universal pan or whatever they call it now that is non stick. It has seen fairly heavy use, every other day or so for 5 years now. It is starting to show that it has had too high heat applied a few times and it is getting scarred from plastic and wood stirring implements. It has lasted longer than any other non stick I have had since I finally learned to not abuse them with high heat.

I am switching to stainless and cast iron because I don't fancy paying good $$ for something that I know will become useless just by using it eventually.

I have kept some non stick sauce pans that don't get used as often nor do they get subjected to the occasional high heat no food trauma. Unless my cousin comes to help. She thinks that "10" is the only mark on the dial that works.

Now a Teflon (or other trade name) nonstick pan shuddered in fear when my Grandfather was shopping for them. His pan life span was less than a year.

Back
Top Bottom