Help...burnt my best pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I was making mushroom barley soup in my favorite calphalon soup pot. I have soaked it for a few days and I think I should be able to get all the barley off. Any advice on how to get burnt black carbon off?

If the pot is stainless, proceed with the following instructions. If it's anodized aluminum, check the owner's manual first.

Get a large trash bag or plastic tub and place the pan and a dish of ammonia in the bag/tub and seal it up. Do this outdoors. Leave it overnight.

The next morning, the residue should be substantially softened and loosened. Scrape it off with a wooden or plastic spatula.

I always heard soaking in hot water and baking soda would do the trick.
Fill half the pot with water, add 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda and bring to a boil, turn off the heat, let it soak for 30 minutes. If after that you still have some black spots, use Bar Keepers Friend (for stainless steel pots), I love that stuff!
Sincerely hope this helps.

If you have the hard anodized, simmer water for at least half an hour in the pot. Using a spoon check to see if the stuck material has loosened. If not simmer longer. When you can scrape it off, do so. THen wash pot using Doramond, the cleanser (very abrasive) that Calphalon sells for their product.

If you wet the pan... then take a dishwasher tablet, wet it (i know, weird), and then scrape the burnt-on stuff it will usually come off.

I've tried all the ways recommended here to soak off tough cooked on food and nothing works as well as Calgon Water Softener powder. I just put a tablespoon or two in the pan/pot, add hottest tap water to dissolve and let sit a few hours or overnight. Cooked on crud just swishes off with a good dish brush. I've used it on aluminum, stainless steel and glass with no bad effects at all. I add a squirt of dish detergent so as to make cleaning more thorough.

No matter what kind of pot you have put some water in, not too much, add a lot of baking soda, I mean a lot. Bring to boil and boil for few minutes discard try to clean gently. Do not scrub. Repeat as needed, may take few times.
Guaranteed method to do clean burnt part.

Back
Top Bottom