Help Identify This Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alexrushmer said:
Not a problem Uncle Bob. I worked in cookware for a while and own a couple of mauviel pieces, both of which have handles as in the picture but also say 'Mauviel' on the outside under the handle. If it is reactive then you are right, not SS! It is more than likely to be tin, which was traditionally used to line copper pans for many years. Is it very shiny inside?

There is no name under the handle. I just looked. Shiny inside? The cooking surface? I would say yes. Take a look at World Cusine pans and see what you think about those pans as they relate to mine. Again thanks so much for your response and input. I do appreciate it

It seems to have far too high a side for a crepe pan. As for brand... I'm thinking of Cuprinox. It looks like the line carried by DeHillerin in Paris. Does it have "Made in France" stamped into the side by the handle

Uncle Bob said:
Alex

Thanks for your input. As the owner of this pan I am very interested in what people think it is...As I sated in the post above yours...the Mauveils that I see have copper handles..my pan does not. Also, I am convinced it is not SS as it is very reactive..I believe it is tin or nickel. With my strongest belief that of nickel...

If it is nickel, do not use Barkeepers Friend on it. It will discolor nickel, as other things may also. Check on the care of nickel. Nice pan.

It's a copper pan with tin lining, cast iron handle. Nickel is used in a couple of pans, but it's pretty rare. It's not stainless. I'd guess it's about an 8" fry pan based on the ratio of the handle to the pan size. I don't think it's a crepe pan, they have a larger flat surface and smaller lips.

As far as manufacturers go, in one sense it really doesn't matter. Very few companies even make the pots. Mauviel makes most of the copper pots for people, even if their name isn't on it. As far as the handle goes, there are a few common options. A cast iron handle is very traditional, so is bronze. Stainless is also available.

It's not a Mauviel pan if it's not stamped as such. It could be Borgeat, World Cuisine/Debuyer, it doesn't actually matter for how it will work.

UncleBob - I have a saucepan like that, the outside is hand hammered copper and the inside is nickle - it reacts to lots of things and it is imperitive that anything stuck be soaked out. I also avoid using metal in it. I'm letting mine develop a nice patina - it looks so rich on the pot rack.

Most of the time I use it for polenta - it's so heavy that it is perfect! Nice pan you've got there - use it and love it well!:)

Back
Top Bottom