Help Identify This Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
Can any of you help me identify the manufacturer of this pan? Also what material it is made of..It has a copper bottom, and is not SS cooking surface. Foods stick to it with a passion! The cooking surface "reacts" to many foods by discoloration. I bought this pan in Memphis many years ago. It has no name or numbers on the bottom. TIA for any help

Thanks GB for the quick response...I do not believe it is aluminum. The pan is very very heavy. To heavy for aluminum in my opinion.

EDIT: When I bought this pan years ago..I can't remember the price but it "destroyed" a $100.00 bill.

Last edited:
I agree with GB. I found out through trial and error, that you can actually season an aluminum pan by rubbing cooking oil onto it and heating over a hot flame. When the oil begins to turn brown and harden (better have the windows open to clear the smoke, then rub another layer of oil over it. About four layers later and the pan resists sticking beautifully.

Found this out on a camping trip where I was using an aluminum camp set and a coleman white-gas stove. I had tried cooking several things in the frying pan and it was driving me nuts how everything stuck. So in desperation, I seasoned it. It worked great after that, and the seasoning stayed on as I treated it like I do my cast iron. It also resists discoloring from acidic foods as the patina protects the reactive aluminum. One other thing, the patina also helps prevent scratches. It's all good.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks Goodweed for the response and the information. I have a couple of aluminum pans from a wholesale restaurant supply, and I don't mean to sound like a "hard-head" but this pan is not aluminum.

Hmm if it is that heavy and cost that much then I am at a loss.

YT, the sides look a little high to me to be a crepe pan although that picture could be deceiving.

Snoop Puss..

I do believe you have put Uncle Bob on the right path..After researhing your link and the World Cuisine name I think I have it identified:

The pan is a World Cuisine, 11 in. solid copper, nickel lined, sauce/fry pan.
I found it "list" in the $130.00 Range...this information makes sense.

I do not use this pan as it is a "terror" to clean. It reacts to everything you put in it. It must be really scrubed and polished to look clean.

Thanks for everyone's help and input. I really appreciate it.

Now back to the storage area with this pan.

Someone might be able to give you advice on nickel-lined pans. Seems a shame to put such a pan in the cupboard after it cost you so much!

looks like a Mauviel tin lined copper fry pan (sautee) the tin darkedn with age and use but is not reactive. It is a soft metal and can be scraped or scoured off, so care is needed to soak stuck food off. With a bit of evoo or butter, the pan cooks everything nicely (except eggs) and degalzes well. Use wood or silicon utensils.

whether it is nickle or tin lined, you shouldn't scour or try to polish the insides. just let them darken naturally. Does not affect the food. It is a classic French bistro pan. Polish the outside if you like or let it get dark penny brown. soak and sponge clean the insides with regular dish soap. I have several such pans and they cook brilliantly once you know what you're dealing with.

Tin also has a Very low melting point, such pans should Never be left unattended either.

yup, tin melts at 460F ... it is not a carbon steel wok, but that pan will sear and sautee mushrooms beautifully. And the sound of veggies "dancing" in a tin lined pan is unique.

Robo..

I looked at the Mauviel..It is as you say very simular. However I notice the Mauviel has copper handles so I dunno. This pan does not have a copper handle...anywyas I bought it back When Moby Dick was still a minnow.
Was an impulse buy as a gift. I had no clue what it was then(or now for that matter) Thanks for the input and suggestions

That is a Mauviel stainless steel lined copper saute pan. In England comes in at around £120 ($200+) but will last forever. Tin is used much less now with copper as re-tinning can get very expensive.

Alex

Thanks for your input. As the owner of this pan I am very interested in what people think it is...As I sated in the post above yours...the Mauveils that I see have copper handles..my pan does not. Also, I am convinced it is not SS as it is very reactive..I believe it is tin or nickel. With my strongest belief that of nickel...
Please continue you thoughts on the pan...Again thank you for your input and ideas...

Regards...

Not a problem Uncle Bob. I worked in cookware for a while and own a couple of mauviel pieces, both of which have handles as in the picture but also say 'Mauviel' on the outside under the handle. If it is reactive then you are right, not SS! It is more than likely to be tin, which was traditionally used to line copper pans for many years. Is it very shiny inside?

Back
Top Bottom