"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Unhappy Help! Is my Dutch Oven ruined?

My husband was cooking Northern Beans to make "Ham & Beans" on the Stove. He forgot about it and completely burned the beans!
He soaked the pan in soapy water (it's a cast iron DO) until I got home. I rinsed it out and used a "bristle brush" to clean out the "food particles", re-seasoned it with oil, put it in the oven for 1 hour.
The following day he tried again to cook the "Northern Beans" but soon after starting to cook, the "smell" of the previous day's mishap was terrible! Also giving the food a "burnt" taste and smell.
HELP!!Is it ruined?????

Old 02-11-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

the best part about cast iron is that you can always sand it down past any mistakes (rust or burnt foods), then reseason and it'll be like new.

it sounds to me like your hubby needs to get busy with some sandpaper.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I use a thick paste of baking soda. It releases the burnt food and any odors. I let the wet paste stand overnight.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Hi Addie! Thanks for your reply. What should I do after using the baking soda paste?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdieM View Post
Hi Addie! Thanks for your reply. What should I do after using the baking soda paste?
Wash it and then season it. Hopefully the odor is gone. You should be able to tell when you season it. If you still get the odor, then put hubby to work with the sandpaper.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Back when cast iron cookware was more popular (the 1930s) Brillo and SOS steel wool pads were commonly used for clean up.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I use a paste of baking soda and water for stainless steel too. I had a really bad "oops!" on the stainless steel top of my stove. I let the baking soda past sit for 36 hours at a time and the oops came off by layers, but it did all come off and I have no scratches on my stove top.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Head Chef

I find alot of great cast iron peices at garage sales and most of the time they are disgustingly dirty, I bring them home - I purchase a wire wheel that will go into a drill and clean the pot( remember safty glasses or goggles) and it cleans up great, then just reseason it. You just can't hurt cast iron. !
Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Master Chef

If you have a self cleaning oven, you might try putting the pot in and run a cleaning cycle. That is what I do for rusty, grungy cast iron. It does remove all the old seasoning and you get a nice new surface to season. I use a damp towel to remove any dust then apply a light layer of oil and bake for 1-2 hours. The cast iron comes out looking beautiful and working like "new".
Old 02-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
You might find some help with the care and feeding of cast iron here: The Care and Feeding of Cast Iron: Cleaning and Seasoning Cast Iron Cookware

Tags
oven