"HELP," please, Good People!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Great Lakes

Assistant Cook
Hello and Please Advise. So happy to have found this site! I have a question I hope a kind soul will assist with. We are trying to get to stainless steel cookware. Does anyone have information on the material used by the company "Grand Gourmet" - I admit I was shopping at one of the big box/everything stores. I bought a couple of items described as stainless steel but they failed the magnet test. What is Grand Gourmet cookware actually made of? Thanks! :chef:

I know of several people who will buy nothing but Paderno cookware and I know a store near us that sells the Grand Gourmet line. I have looked at it many times and they seem of good quality.

I have never heard of the magnet test; however as I say I know several people, both professional and home cooks who swear by this brand and have never had any problems with it.

I hope this helps

Last edited:
Stainless steel can be magnetic or non magnetic depending on the formulation. The most stain resistant, with the highest proportions of chromium and nickel, are not magnetic.

If a manufacturer wants the cookware to be magnetic in the outer layer and induction ready, there are formulations that can accomplish that. I think magnetic stainless is made with chromium, but without nickel.

Unless you plan to buy an induction cooktop in the future, there is not any difference in performance.

Thank you, all!

Hello and Wow! Thank you all for the swift responses! jim262 - great lesson!
I admit that as soon as I saw what I consider "good news," I hurried to kitchen to take the new items for a spin. Very happy with their performance.

Again, thank you. It's good to know you are here and that help is a few key strokes away. Cheers!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom