Help with Doufeu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandiApple

Assistant Cook
Hello - I am going through my kitchen because I have to move and must decide what to sell and what to keep. Many years ago, my mother gave me her aqua-colored, cast-iron "casserole thing" that is imprinted on the lid with DOUFEU and a symbol/stamp with an "a" over a "c" encircled. Can anyone help me with the age and value of this? I love to cook, but I never got into using this heavy piece. Thank you - I prefer an email if you don't mind...

I can't help you with the age or value, but a doufeu is a great piece to have if you love to cook. It is basically a French oven with a recess in the lid so that you can fill it with ice. This encourages condensation to form inside the pot which then drips down on the food to baste it. You do not have to put ice in it though. You can use it just like a regular French oven.

No photo at the minute

Hi - I just sold my dig cameras! I will be getting a new one, but I'm not sure when. Possibly tomorrow -- It's aqua and looks like the photos online when I google it, but haven't actually found one that color. Do you know what the manufacturer is - can you tell by the symbol acronym? Thanks, Krissy

I can't help with the value, but I think your doufeu [sp] is from the 50's. I sure would love to buy it from you!

Doufeu

Hi - thank you for your message. It would make sense that it is from the '50s, especially with the cool aqua color. I wish you lived in Minnesota or Wisconsin; I have to sell my entire household of beautiful mahogany furniture and other things! What would you offer me for the doufeu? Remember that shipping will cost a bit - I'm sure you know that it weighs more than my left thigh!

Krissy

Up in the upper right hand corner it says "Welcome Kandyapple". Just under that is "private messages". Click on that. It takes you to the message center. Click on my message in your inbox to read it.

I have a similar doufeu, although it's a different color. Here's a couple of cell phone photos of mine (sorry about the picture quality).

Attachments

• doufeu-1.jpg
    doufeu-1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 557
  • doufeu-2.jpg
    doufeu-2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 603
Btw, this is a Cousances brand doufeu. Just digging around and I found this quote:

In 1957, Le Creuset purchased its competitor Les Hautes Fourneaux of Cousances and began producing some signature Cousances cookware vessels, including the popular Doufeu - a cocotte with a water lid, under the Le Creuset brand.

This suggests that these pots were manufactured sometime between 1934 when first released, and 1957, before Cousances was purchased by Le Creuset.

Thanks, that's cool. I didn't sell my D. I still want to, but I love the history and info.

Here is mine, did any fakes get made ?

Hopefully I'll be able to post a photo, mine has all the stamps in the right places but no Cousances name on the base, fake? I'm working in France and picked it up for 5€ at a boot sale
Sorry can't upload a pic

Last edited:
It appears that we have three new members. I want to welcome all of you to DC. As all of you can see, there is always someone who can answer any question. So stick around. Lots of fun, information and just plain good camaraderie. We love new members. And just think of all the recipes we love to swap with each other. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom