"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
Cook

I will only buy LC or Descoware. The pieces I have are all second hand. I have lucked out in that area. I have found an LC 3qt sauce pan with skillet lid, LC grill skillet, 5qt Descoware DO, and a 4qt Descoware DO all at thrift stores. I would still like a larger DO but I don't know where in the world I would put it, LOL. I have spent a total of about $50 on everything I have bought so far. I will never buy LC or Descoware new. I love my pans. If you can find them, second hand is the way to go.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
Head Chef

That has always been my philosophy.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Premium Outlets

If you have a premium outlets mall nearby, they have a LeCreuset outlet store. Our's has bonafide new in many colors. They also have a bigger selection of factory seconds. They have imperfections - I looked at a frypan that had overspray of the enamel onto the black frypan surface.

Didn't study the others too much - we're stocked pretty well. I bought a nice round dutch oven (9qt I think) at Tuesday Morning. It was not a factory second & has full new product warranty.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I guess I'll put my $0.02 in.

I have a Calphalon DO that performs great. It's very easy to clean and performs well. The lid is tight fitting and the handles are a decent size to get a good grip on.

http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/c...Id=CLCat200004
Old 06-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I have an Ikea (7 litres I believe) that I was given but retails for 35 in the uk (oval shape)
For the price it's an amazing piece of cookware, but it is noticable that it does not spread the heat as well as the Le Creuset stuff (which I have used but do not yet own because it's too expensive)

You can also see from looking at it that it is not an even thickness of cast iron all over.

Although this sounds negative - for 35 it's an amazing piece of cookware and I use it constantly. The heat may not spread completely evening, but it still kills everything else I own that isn't made of cast iron!

gussington
Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookNow
I will put in my vote for BOTH LeCreuset and Staub. Each are highly durable, very effective, and attractive brands of cookware. With the exception of Staub's "Basix" line, their product line does not have an enameled interior, it's a "seasoned" surface; but this works just as well as an enameled surface in my experience. I own a 5 qt. oval (pimento red) Staub, and love cooking in it. In fact, I plan to purchase some more Staub pieces in the near future... maybe a braiser, or a larger oval oven.

My more extensive lineup of LeCreuset cookware includes a few older (and perfectly usable) pieces that my grandmother gave me-- she is 93, and the cookware must be at least 40+ years old. Still cooks beautifully.