"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-29-2008, 01:57 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
In case you don't know, one place where you're likely to find Lodge is your local hardware store.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:40 AM   #22
Master Chef

I wouldn't have a problem exchanging it for another Emeril CI griddle. Due to the very nature of casting iron - every piece is unique, regardless of brand.

If you want to find something made by Lodge - check WalMart or your local Ace Hardware Store.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

I am not sure where you live, but in the US Lodge is the largest cast iron maker around. Do some looking and you are sure to find it. If not, get another Emerilware and just make sure to look it over well before you bring it home.

How much did you pay for the Emerilware? You may be able to find something even better ob Ebay (even with shipping) depending on what you paid. Griswold is a great name and better than Lodge or Emerilware. Check out some items here.

Also chewck out garage sales where you can often find cast iron for a doller or less.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #24
Sous Chef

I am not sure if anyone has already mentioned it, but you can also find Lodge at camping stores.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #25
Executive Chef

I agree, take it back and get American made cast iron ... Lodge.
(But, even Lodge outsources it's enameled cast iron to China.)
Old 07-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I would not use that pan. It has an area for food to get into that you wont be able to clean out possibly causing pathogens to grow. If you are passionate about using cast iron then I would go to yard sales or auctions and look for "griswold" or "wagner" brand cast iron. Those are the best ever made. Neither one is still in business but I find them for $2-$20 at sales. The difference is noticable in the cooking. The new cast iron is of low quality and has uneven heating compared to the older cast iron is more even heat and better cooking. Do not frown at an old pan that is black. The even black color is perfect and is well seasoned. If it needs to be seasoned here is one method-put a thin layer of oil in the bottom of the pan and place in a 200 degree F over for 5 hours with nothing else. Let cool and clean. You place will have an odor for a few days but it works well and the food wont stick. Another way is to find someone that works in a restaurant with a french fryer. You place the pan under the hot oil for a few hours. Hard to find someone that will let you do that though. Enjoy the pan.