How do I clean Pyrex baking dishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellyCooks

Senior Cook
Yesterday, I attended a cookware party. A women who has been selling cookware for over 20 years, told us never to use cooking sprays. She said that they have silicon in them and will stain Pyrex dishes permanently. On top of that, she went on to say that the silicon never comes off and you continue to ingest it for many years! When I asked if there was anything I could do to try and get the stains off my Pyrex, she said that soaking in vinegar may help, but no guarantees.

Has anyone ever hear this before and has anyone successfully gotten stains off Pyrex?

I'm not familiar with your information, but if you're concerned about your Pyrex, you could spray it with something like Off oven cleaning spray, enclose in a plastic bag and let sit overnight.

In the morning, you should be able to thoroughly clean your pieces and start anew.

Just my thoughts.

First, dimethyl silicone in cooking spray is chemically inert and will pass through your system unchanged. It appears in any number of other foods.

Second, if dimethyl silicone sticks to your cookware and NEVER COMES OFF, how can you ingest it?

Scare tactics aside, the tacky brown stuff you see on your glass bakeware is cooked on oil. It will happen with any oil on the pan, not just spray.

Clean it with Barkeepers Friend and a scrubber (green or blue).

My pyrex doesn't have stains, I clean it in the dishwasher. Sometimes I have to scrub it too, but no stains.

Like KatieH said, try oven cleaner. You can bake it in the oven covered with oven cleaner. (Clean the oven too while you are at it.) It's how I saved Grandma's bean dish. :)

Last edited:
Silicone will not harm you. And I agree with Andy, the brown spots are cooked oil stuck on your pans and not something to worry about aside from not looking pretty.

I use baking soda and vinegar to clean stains off my pyrex, if there are any. I also run them through the dishwasher. I add vinegar (white) to the rinse cycle. It works for me. I have never had an issue with pyrex. For white Corningware, I use denture cleaning tabs.

Maybe I shouldn't suggest this, since I haven't tried it yet, but I have found that those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers will work on a multitude of difficult-to-remove stains/spots. (Including dog-nose snot on glass doors.)

Magic Erasers work quite well on the oil spots, I use them for that and so many things.

I love Magic Erasers to get "goober" off the ceiling. I also love them for a whole lot of things. I have found the "no name brand" work just as well. Test before using on painted surfaces.

I've always sprayed my glass cookware with cooking spray. If there ever is anything that doesn't come off with regular washing, Brillo takes it off easily.

Yesterday, I attended a cookware party. A women who has been selling cookware for over 20 years, told us never to use cooking sprays. She said that they have silicon in them and will stain Pyrex dishes permanently. On top of that, she went on to say that the silicon never comes off and you continue to ingest it for many years! When I asked if there was anything I could do to try and get the stains off my Pyrex, she said that soaking in vinegar may help, but no guarantees.

Has anyone ever hear this before and has anyone successfully gotten stains off Pyrex?

I've had my pyrex for many years, used cooking spray, & never had stains. Soak it in warm/hot soapy dishwashing liquid (I prefer Dawn), use a little scrub brush if necessary. Clean it thoroughly after each use. If you still have stains, I'd toss it & buy new.

Frankly, I would have challenged her on the comment about silicone in cooking spray. And I wouldn't care if she had been selling her product for 200 years. If the cooking spray that I use has silicone in it, the labeling is incorrect and the company is breaking the law. I've come to think that some claims made by the sales people during in home sales parties can be close to outrageous as they peddle their over priced wares. I spray my pyrex bakeware and any other bake ware that I choose to spray. The trick is to not over spray and then into the dishwasher it goes.

Frankly, I would have challenged her on the comment about silicone in cooking spray. And I wouldn't care if she had been selling her product for 200 years. If the cooking spray that I use has silicone in it, the labeling is incorrect and the company is breaking the law...

While I'm not trying to lend any credibility to the cookware seller, the can of PAM I have in a kitchen cabinet contains dimethyl silicone used as an anti-foaming agent.

Wow! Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! I have tried the magic erasers, but I don't think I scrubbed hard enough. I will definitely give your other ideas a try.

You people are amazing! Thanks, again!

Thanks, too, everyone or the information about silicon. I'm sure you are right when you say that the cookware sales lady was spreading yet another one of those urban rumors to sell more of her products! I feel better now knowing I'm not poisoning family and friends!

I love Magic Erasers to get "goober" off the ceiling. I also love them for a whole lot of things. I have found the "no name brand" work just as well. Test before using on painted surfaces.

No. 1, who's goober and what's he doing up there?

No. 2, where do you get those generic ones?

I find that on the rare occasion that I get cooked on stains, a little elbow grease with a Scotchbrite Rescue pad takes care of it. My Pyrex bakeware is quite unblemished.

Back
Top Bottom