"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
It's one of those white cutting boards - does that explain it?
yes, thanks.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
Master Chef

I spray mine with Clorox clean up, let set for about 5-10 minutes, and then wash, and dry. Nothing has warped yet. However, it wouldn't hurt to rub it with some Mineral Oil which won't affect the flavors of food that you chop on it and will definitely improve its appearance--I'm afraid the warping might be permanent, however. I use mineral oil on my olive wood salad bowl and wooden utensils. Boy do they look great after using it. Hope you find a solution.........

Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
Sous Chef

We clean ours with vinegar, and condition it with mineral oil. Never put it in the dishwasher, and don't cut raw meat on it.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi PAB - It's all been mentioned but this is what I do - Wipe down with full-strength white vinegar after each use. However, a diluted bleach solution is another way to go (1 tsp. bleach to 1 quart of water). Vinegar is a great disinfectant and kills all the things you worry about from a cutting board. I also make a diluted vinegar solution

One of the best defenses is proper drying. Make sure your board is dry before you put it up.

To condition your board slightly heat some USP grade mineral oil. Rub in the direction of the grain and leave to absorb for about 10 minutes or so. The minderal oil helps prevent absorption. If you notice that your board quickly sucked it up add some more. Add until your board won't wick it up. Just wipe off excess.

I also like to scrub my board with kosher salt and a squeeze of lemon. This helps to eliminate garlic/onion ordors.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Master Chef

Never thought to heat the mineral oil, KitchenElf, but what a wonderful idea!! It just makes all the wooden utensils in the kitchen look so nice......got the tip from the Egyptian artist who sold me an olive wood salad bowl in the first place!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
We clean ours with vinegar, and condition it with mineral oil. Never put it in the dishwasher, and don't cut raw meat on it.
I've been meaning to buy mineral oil for years now....actually since I built be cutting board (which is part of my island). Now, it's so used I'm like "What's the use?" I use a sponge and some dish soap. If it gets stained I use Greased Lightning and alot of water.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I've been meaning to buy mineral oil for years now....actually since I built be cutting board (which is part of my island). Now, it's so used I'm like "What's the use?" I use a sponge and some dish soap. If it gets stained I use Greased Lightning and alot of water.
You REALLY need to scour it first with some salt/lemon, clean with white vinegar, and give it a good, healthy dose of mineral oil. It will help a LOT with the preservation of it from here on out. You don't want your board to become absorbant. The mineral oil will REALLY help with that. At the end of the evening do as mentioned and then pour on what you perceive to be more than enough and let soak in overnight. Remove anything left over with a paper towel the next morning. When I do this I find this the perfect time to oil all of my wooden spoons/spatulas, etc. Just set them on the butcher block and let them "marinate" overnight too

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
Executive Chef

When I think of it I squeeze some lemon halves ofer it and rub it in with a new (not microwaved) sponge. lol
I just keep forgetting to order the stuff. You can't find it at any retail store near me.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #19
Master Chef

I got mine at Walgreens and any pharmacy (not prescription by the way) will carry it
Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I use a watered-down bleach solution and rinse it well. And like you, I never use meat or dairy on it; that is strictly done on plastic. In fact, I rarely use the wooden cutting boards any more, even though it feels so much better. I just find plastic so much easier to clean, and I know I can sanitize it safely without damaging it.

So now the wooden cutting board is more for display

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote