"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #21
Master Chef

Yeah, I like my plastic ones for the same reason as they can go into the dish washer with no problem but the largest one also is used as a base for my laptop computer when I take it into bed with me------my technut kid has yelled at me enough times about putting a laptop on the covers of the bed and that it's not good for the laptop so it gets used a a laptop support base as well.......

Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck made me a beautiful butcher block cutting board many years ago, but I've been using plastic/composite for so long, the "beauty" has been delegated to the back of the pantry. I see it nearly every day but rarely use it.

Now I'm happy with putting my plastic boards into the dishwasher or scrubbing them down with bleach and soap.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I got mine at Walgreens and any pharmacy (not prescription by the way) will carry it
Couldn't Karmatize you.

Found it at a pharmacy on Saturday. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikC View Post
I use a watered-down bleach solution and rinse it well. And like you, I never use meat or dairy on it; that is strictly done on plastic. In fact, I rarely use the wooden cutting boards any more, even though it feels so much better. I just find plastic so much easier to clean, and I know I can sanitize it safely without damaging it.

So now the wooden cutting board is more for display
I just have to bring this up again Several studies have shown that plastic cutting boards are the ones that harbor bacteria in the nicks, even after going through the dishwasher. Wood cutting boards are safer because (I read in another study I can't find now) the dryness of the wood sucks the moisture out of the bacteria, thus killing them, much as salt would do. Oiling the board seals it and so ruins this antibiotic effect.

On the Chopping Block, Alaska Science Forum
UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research

HTH.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I just have to bring this up again Several studies have shown that plastic cutting boards are the ones that harbor bacteria in the nicks, even after going through the dishwasher. Wood cutting boards are safer because (I read in another study I can't find now) the dryness of the wood sucks the moisture out of the bacteria, thus killing them, much as salt would do. Oiling the board seals it and so ruins this antibiotic effect.

On the Chopping Block, Alaska Science Forum
UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research

HTH.
(gulp) - I didn't oil my board just yet. I'm definately doing some more research on this. The rough sawn wood alone was near $300 for my island.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
You REALLY need to scour it first with some salt/lemon, clean with white vinegar,
Elf, do you rinse the board with water after wiping it down with the white vinegar?

Thanks for the lemon/salt idea--it's the "aged" onion smell that drives me nuts after awhile!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #27
Head Chef

I put mine in the sink with hot soapy water and some bleach then let soak for 1/2 to 1 hour. then use a scrub brush on it and all clean. let dry on a rack- flat. reoil w/ mineral oil -------Had them for years without any problems

I did have one when I was first married, that warped a lil, soak it and then put it on a flat surface and weighted it down with some heavy cast iron pans. It straighten out, but I never got to use it. I checked on it and thought I would leave one more day, welllll Hubbie thought it was just a chunk of wood under some pans and threw it out.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker View Post
Elf, do you rinse the board with water after wiping it down with the white vinegar?

Thanks for the lemon/salt idea--it's the "aged" onion smell that drives me nuts after awhile!
Nope PA - no need to rinse.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:56 AM   #29
Head Chef

Wood warps when one side has greater moisture than the other. I use wood cutting boards, and when they start rocking, I simply store them other side up on the counter for a while and let them warp back the other way. Count me on the side of those who believe that wood cutting boards are safer than plastic. Wood has been used for centuries with no ill effects. Professional chopping blocks are vertical grain wood, and the Japanese use slices of tree trunks. I am very sensitive to the taste of soap, and do not use it on my boards as the board will absorb the taste. Mine are scraped with the blade from an old turner, and washed in hot water. If they get too greasy, I rub them down with salt and leave overnight. A lemon salt mixture should work as well.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #30
Head Chef

What Bigjim said--if you wash a board and lay it on the counter while it is wet, the top side of the board will dry and shrink, while the bottom side will swell from the water--causing the board to warp.

Fix it like bigjim says, and henceforth, after you wash it with soap and water, dry it either standing on end, or on a rack, so both sides dry the same.