"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #31
Head Chef

I am not too sure about the use of mineral oil as a board finish. For one thing, there are food grade and non food grade mineral oils around. Food grade mineral oils are used as a lubricant for preparation machinery, and there are prescribed limits of exposure. Another thing, mineral oil is sometimes used as laxitive. I don't want that on my kitchen ware. I have not research this fully, but I do remember that mineral oil was not an approved finish for wooden food containers such as salad bowls years back. Mineral oils are a byo product of petroleum products. If anyone has any information on this subject, please post it. Data above from a very quick glance at Google and my memory from years ago.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #32
Head Chef

Just looked at my bottle of mineral oil, which I use for sharpening stone oil. Lists it as a lubricant laxative, Warning list includes children under 6, the aged, pregnant, longer than one week, not with meals, breast feeding, others. Think I'll pass on its use as a cutting board finish.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
.... Warning list includes children under 6, the aged, pregnant, longer than one week, not with meals, breast feeding, others. Think I'll pass on its use as a cutting board finish.

Those warnings are for taking mineral oil as a laxative. The 'longer than one week' is more than likely the maximum time to take it to assist in pooping.

Thing is, if someone is coating their cutting board so heavily as there to create a situation where there is so much transfer a laxative effect becomes an issue they may want to cut down the application of the oil just a little. Seems to me it would be a bit unsafe to use a board so coated with slick-um.

The oil is suppose to be in the board, not coating the board.

As I have written else ware, on (a) hot summer day(s) I take my board outside, scrub it, let it dry completely then sop on an oil/ bees wax mix and let the mix soak in. I re-apply the mix till there are no 'dry spots'. Then I wipe and scrape the excess and the board is good for another year or so (with the occasional re-app of oil).

Warpage, wood warps. It's the nature of the beast. The board needs constructed with the wood grain in opposition.

I have started running my bread board through a commercial dishwasher. Soon as the cycle is done I scrape the board with a bench knife to remove excess water and let air dry. So far no ill effects.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have a beautiful bamboo board, and I simply wash it with a sponge saturated in anti-bacterial dishwashing liquid, rinse it off, and let it air dry laid across my dish rack.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:12 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Just looked at my bottle of mineral oil, which I use for sharpening stone oil. Lists it as a lubricant laxative, Warning list includes children under 6, the aged, pregnant, longer than one week, not with meals, breast feeding, others. Think I'll pass on its use as a cutting board finish.
Ummmmm - it's not going to be so saturated ON your cutting board that it would pose ANY problem. The use of mineral oil is not an uncommon thing. It's used BECAUSE it is a food grade item and won't turn rancid like other oils can. It's not a "finish" - it soaks into the wood to keep it from drying out, among other things.

Also, one should always hand-dry their board right away.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
The use of mineral oil is not an uncommon thing.
Mineral oil is the standard treatment for cutting boards (sic) and probably has been since the first processing of petroleum meaning a very, very, Very long time.