"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-04-2005, 02:22 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

The pots all have thick bottoms, 10mm at least. I think maybe I heat them too much at the beginning. I learned to heat pots and pans on high and then turn the temperature down to cooking levels. It works with the aluminium, non-stick and cast iron, but maybe steel is different. Maybe I need to start heating these up at a lower temperature. ??

Old 11-04-2005, 05:26 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Use a diffuser! That way, you can start your pot on the high heat, then when you're ready for that slow simmer, it won't burn - trust me!

Old 11-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

I would do what Marm says or start with a lower heat as you mentioned. Most pots do not need or should not be heated on high heat (woks excluded). Usually Med to Med-high is the right temp to start with.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #24
Cook

Send a message via AIM to hellschef
i agree with the heat diffuser, ive also had luck seasoning, my jacketed ss like i do all my cast iron (prefered). little vegetable oil, place upside down in preheated 200 250 deg. oven, halve maybe full hour, look for discoloration, and let rest, simply wipe out w/ clean towel.
and either pan/ oil tech. works, just pay attention to heat and type of cooking medium. happy cooken!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
How do you know that it won't work in some applications?

Could you explain which applications and why you think it wouldn't work?
It's hard to explain Andy,it really depends on what a person is trying to achieve for an individual dish,and one particular dish may have many different methods of preparation for the end result,but for an obvious example ... pancakes.But if you see no need to preheat,then I wouldn't worry about it,and I can be anal sometimes.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

I don't think Andy is saying not to preheat. He is saying it does not matter if you heat the pan and then add the oil or if you put cold oil in a cold pan and heat them together.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Yes,I believe he means that you don't have to preheat a pan...at least that is how I read this quote.

Quote:
Reading in Robert Wolke's book, "What Einstein Told His Cook 2", he states that the end result you need is to have both the pan and the oil hot before you add the food in order to prevent sticking.

He rejects the idea that you have to wait for the pan to be hot before you add the oil. You could add oil to a cold pan and heat them up together and the end result would be the same.

I've tried that and it seems to work in the few instances when I've tried it.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Reading in Robert Wolke's book, "What Einstein Told His Cook 2", he states that the end result you need is to have both the pan and the oil hot before you add the food in order to prevent sticking.

He rejects the idea that you have to wait for the pan to be hot before you add the oil. You could add oil to a cold pan and heat them up together and the end result would be the same.

This, I think, is where the confusion came from.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:15 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
This, I think, is where the confusion came from.
Exactly GB,if your adding oil to a cold pan then your not preheating.And if that works for him,then no problem.I was only saying that in some cases,
personally I prefer the pan to be at a cooking temperature that will give me the results that I'm looking for,which again may not what anyone else is looking for or wants.The old saying,10 chefs with 1 recipe will give you 10 different results,for which we should all be thankful.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

If you reread what I wrote originally wrote, my meaning should be clear.

Quote:

No where did I suggest that preheating was unnecessary!

You start with a cold pan, add room temperature oil, put the pan on the burner and preheat both the pan and the oil together before adding the food.