"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I am so confused!!

My dilemma:
I am finally getting some new cookware.
But I am so confused; I used to cook on a gas stove, which is what I prefer.
I had cast iron and RevereWare. But three years ago we moved house, and now I have a Whirlpool Smooth Top Range. I have been using some ultra cheap pans, and am now ready to get something of better quality.

Keep in mind, I love to cook, and have hated not having the proper equipment to do so.
I have been saving up "thankyou points" which I am hoping to use for this purpose.
If none of these are what I need, I can afford to spend around $200 give or take and I have both CostCo and Sam's Club Memberships if that makes any difference.

This is what I have been looking at:
KitchenAid Gourmet Distinctions Stainless 10-Piece Cookware Set

Concord 10 Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set

WMF Provence Plus 9-Piece Cookware Set

MIU Stainless with Copper Core 7-Piece Cookware Set
KitchenAid Gourmet Essentials 10-Piece Brushed Stainless Steel Cookware Set

Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless-Steel 10-Piece Cookware Set
Chef's Secret 11 Piece Surgical Stainless Steel Cookware Set
Kinetic Classicor 11-Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set with Lids
Oster Bradford 7 Piece Cookware Set, Stainless Steel

Thank you in advance for any help or advice!!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy

The MIU set looks like the best quality to me although I haven't seen them in person. I have some MIU gadgets around and they seem pretty well made.

I have a set of Emerilware (made by all-clad) they are a good value for the money. The glass lids won't survive a fall from the counter to the floor...trust me on this one. They stock them at Bed Bath and Beyond. I ordered a basic set online and then filled in a few more pieces at BB&B.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Head Chef

Why can't you use CI on a smooth top? I have a 10.25' skillet that I use all the time on it.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
Why can't you use CI on a smooth top? I have a 10.25' skillet that I use all the time on it.
The instructions for my smooth top (GE) forbid the use of cast iron. The manual is concerned about cracking the glass and also warns that any cookware used must be absolutely flat.

Now I only use my CI cookware outside on the grill's propane side burner or in the oven.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Cook

I use cast iron all the time (and enamelled cast iron) on my smooth-top. Guess I didn't get the memo!
I mostly use All-Clad, but that's a little spendier than what you're looking for. It seems like I recall a review of the Sam's Club cookware that said it was quite good. I'll go looking around & see if I can find it.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Cook

If you go to SAM'S CLUB and click on the cookware section, there are some good reviews of their products.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Whatever pans you decide on, you will miss cooking on gas, so invest in a single boiler ring, like one of these.

This little piggy has variable flame control and a stonking good output of 4.4kw. Now - that is HOT!

I love cooking on gas. Its the ultimate in control. Having one of those will add a versatile 5th burner, a valuable extra. Cheap, too. This one costs less than 45.00
Old 08-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
The instructions for my smooth top (GE) forbid the use of cast iron. The manual is concerned about cracking the glass and also warns that any cookware used must be absolutely flat.

Now I only use my CI cookware outside on the grill's propane side burner or in the oven.
Ive used cast iron skillets regularly on my ceramic-top electric stove for 12 years now. One isn't even flat!

They work just fine. They won't crack the glass unless you drop them. But then you could drop an Emerilware lid on it and crack it.

The manufacturers are on the hook for replacement during the warranty period, so they tell you not to use heavy cookware, thinking it's most likely to be dragged (and scratch) or drop.

There isn't any functional reason why you can't use it.

Check out the Cookware and More website for great deals on AllClad. Also Williams Sonoma outlet stores often nearly give away Emerilware.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post

I would only worry if the CI piece is really heavy. To me the 10" skillet isn't too bad. A big dutch over or something I would be worried about it slipping though.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #10

Should have mentioned that I do use my enameled CI 7qt on the stove regularly. Since the range is 8 years old any warranty expired a long time ago perhaps I could stand to be a little more adventurous.

If I break it I could trade up to induction burners and a double oven.....hmmm.

HONEY...come look at what happened to the stove...