I love the vintage stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I found this at my mother's house today. One of her friends gave it to her because a couple of my siblings are into cooking, like myself. It is an old deep aluminum pan with lid in great shape. Ironically, I was shopping for something like this a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if these things can be seasoned very well. Never tried....

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 242
I've got an old heavy aluminum pot that looks kinda like that. It has one use and that is to steam crab legs. I've got plenty of other pots and pans I could use, with steaming racks or inserts, but it just wouldn't be the same, lol. I don't even know how I came to posses it, but it serves a purpose and I ain't gettin' rid of it. Ugly color, too.

How old does a pot have to be to be vintage?

All my Copco, enamelled, CI pots are from the '70s. Does that count?

Looks almost like a piece of Club Aluminum. My mother had a set of that and the stuff was built like a bomb shelter. My youngest brother still has a few pieces. That's when things were made to last.

That's what kind I have, Club.

Looks almost like a piece of Club Aluminum. My mother had a set of that and the stuff was built like a bomb shelter. My youngest brother still has a few pieces. That's when things were made to last.
It is cast aluminum. My mohter still has a few pots like this from the 50's. Most of the handles have been broken or chipped. Luckily, this one is still in excellent shape.

I collect(buy, sell and play) old\vintage drums and this is a discussion that arises quite often. The dealer I use to sell some stuff says that 70's is not really considered vintage yet. Somehow, it also depends on the quality of the item. Like if it was state of the art at the time, lasts through the years and maintains its quality. I don't know how he comes to that decision.

How old is he?
My guess is that people don't consider an item vintage unless it was used in a previous generation. I don't consider an item I used in the seventies vintage, but someone 20 years younger than me might. Maybe in order for an item to be thought of as vintage it needs to be older that the person using it. Which I guess kind of reflects on my first statement.

29235-albums329-picture2643t.jpg

Antique utensils: (OK, maybe not quite antiques, but more than 60 years old.) A decorative slotted spoon, and a curved, serrated grapefruit knife.

They still work and see weekly use.

How old is he?
My guess is that people don't consider an item vintage unless it was used in a previous generation. I don't consider an item I used in the seventies vintage, but someone 20 years younger than me might. Maybe in order for an item to be thought of as vintage it needs to be older that the person using it. Which I guess kind of reflects on my first statement.

I guess he is around my age, 50ish. But, I figured 70's stuff should be considered vintage. He doesn't. But when considering the collectors market, I guess there is some sort of cut off, or guidline.

I have an old Victrola 78 wind up record player. I am very proud of it because it is a unique and well preserved item. One day an older lady came in to my restaurant and said "What do you want with that old piece of junk?
We threw out a few of those years ago".:LOL:

Last edited:
I collect(buy, sell and play) old\vintage drums and this is a discussion that arises quite often. The dealer I use to sell some stuff says that 70's is not really considered vintage yet. Somehow, it also depends on the quality of the item. Like if it was state of the art at the time, lasts through the years and maintains its quality. I don't know how he comes to that decision.

I guess it also depends on what sort of item it is. Clothing from the '80s is "vintage". I think items that are likely to wear out or show wear and tear become vintage sooner than things that are meant to last longer.

When my sister had the big stuff cleared out of my mum's apartment in Denmark, she had a guy who does that as a business do it. He came over to see if it was worth his while, especially since my sister told him he couldn't have everything. He was really pleased with my old clothes from the '70s (including some that I made) and some bright orange and pink curtains with huge (maybe 1.5 feet across, can't really remember) flowers.

He was apparently quite excited by a few Copco, enamelled, CI pans that my sister didn't think to tell him were part of the stuff we wanted to keep. (That's why I got all the remaining ones.) At any rate, it was worth his while to haul that stuff off for the good bits he could sell in his antique and vintage shop.

I have an six quart Reverware pan that has a bale that I got from my grandmother. I used it to make jam and as a bucket when we didn't have a tent trailer that could be attached to water. It is in great shape and has a lid. It's also a treasure for many reasons.

I guess it also depends on what sort of item it is. Clothing from the '80s is "vintage"....

Are you saying that my clothes are vintage?
No wonder I get looks when I go out in public :ermm:

burn baby, burn... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom