"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Cook

I need a new crockpot/slow cooker

I love making meals in my crockpot. I currently have a 12 year old Rival crockpot and it has been great, but the cooking temperature is getting a bit suspect.
What type of slow cooker/crockpot do you recommend?

Old 01-31-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I just bought an All Clad slow cooker. I have used it only twice, once for stew and once for chicken soup. Both turned out better than my older Rival. The stew was tender and the veggies just right (not mushy) and the soup was very clear because the low setting didn't boil it.
It's easy to use, but it is a little more expensive than many others. If you will be using it a great deal, it may be worth checking it.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I have the All-Clad slow cooker...I love it!
Old 02-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I've drooled over the All-Clad slow cookers! But sadly, I have to make do with 2 Rival. I have no complaints about them - they work very well. But they are no where near as beautiful as the All-Clad one.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I want this one Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach 33135 3-in-1 Slow Cooker with 2-, 4-, and 6-Quart Crocks, Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining only the less expensive white one. It has three sizes of crocks so you don't waste food. I know often with my 6 quart, I end up with extra because I have to fill the vessel in order for it to work properly. With three sizes, you can customize it a little more.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Cook

I read a review in Consumers Digest and the Hamilton Beach was at the top. I don't remember where the All-Clad came in. The problem with product reviews is that they don't often review older appliances for durability. A great product today could be a lemon in a few years. Have you had a slow cooker for a long time and with good results?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I have a Rival (oval). The only thing that I don't like about it is that it can't be pre-programmed but it sure holds a lot more than the round one that I used to have :o)
Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch182 View Post
I read a review in Consumers Digest and the Hamilton Beach was at the top. I don't remember where the All-Clad came in. The problem with product reviews is that they don't often review older appliances for durability. A great product today could be a lemon in a few years. Have you had a slow cooker for a long time and with good results?
That's good to know because I bought one today. I haven't unpacked it, but I did buy one.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Head Chef

Hey Sketch,
Do you remember what H Beach model that was recommended? I'm in the market for a new slow cooker also.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I picked up my All-Clad slow cooker about 6 months ago at Home Goods for $50.