"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage™ View Post
Wal-mart actually has some good cookware. Tramontina 8-Piece 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware Set - Wal-Mart
Sam's has some good stuff too. they have a good quality non stick set
Sam's Club - Housewares

The Tramontina set looks like a good deal.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Senior Cook

If it doesn't matter to you to have all matching cookware, then I'd just look for deals on individual pots and pans and grab 'em when you can find 'em at the right price--lots of good suggestions for where to look in the posts above. SS and cast iron will last a very long time with proper care. Nonstick, even higher end brands, not so much, at least not in my experience.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

That is some great Idea member thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #14
Master Chef

I bought my nonstick skillets at a Linens and things type discout store. When I had to replace my Revere ware (doesn't go with flat-top electric range) I bought some French stuff from the Chef's catalog. What a bargain. I bought more than I really wanted because the entire set was cheaper than the few pieces I wanted individually. I wish I could remember the brand name, but they are great. Good, solid, heavy bottoms. I can turn off the stove for long cooking items a half hour before eating and the food is still too hot to touch. It took me awhile to get used to both the stove and the cookware, but I love it. I don't think a nonstick saucepan is something you want, but you will want a nonstick frying pan for stir-frying, eggs, etc. A lot will depend on the kind of range you have, too.

By the way, the Revere wear simply moved next door and is still doing good the last time I visited it. It had sentimental value (my mom had all Revere when I was a kid, it was my first set of cookware, and heaven knows it lasted and lasted and is still going strong). But I can't say I miss trying to get those copper bottoms clean, especially when I had gas ranges.

Oh, found the name of the stuff I love: Sitram.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
I actually have a couple of the Tramontina triply peices (12" fry pan and a 3qt pot). Didn't get them at Wal-Mart, but they were inexpensive and perform just fine.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #16
Cook

My favorite stock pot is a Tramontina. I also have a huge Tramontina skillet. Bought the stock pot at Sam's and the skillet at WM. They are great.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I bought the a similar set (just bigger) of the Tramontina try ply at Sam's a few years ago and they are still like new. I compared them to AllClad before I bought them..couldn't see any difference other than the names on them. Very happy with the purchase and all the money I saved. Walmart has the best price on that set..I think it was $300. at Cooks.com
Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
I compared them to AllClad before I bought them..couldn't see any difference other than the names on them.
And the country of origin, of course!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Don't forget to check out ebay...
Old 01-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
Cook

I got my Cuisinart Chefs Classic SS 10 pc. set for right under $130 with a coupon from Younkers. I love it thus far